• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In my father’s safe. . .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like it says “D. J. White” but I’m not sure. 19th century engraved cursive is not my forté.
The Leman rifle is likely one they made and sold through sporting goods and hardware stores, likely made around 1880.

The J.D. White rifle was likely made by a maker of that name in Carbondale IL. He worked from 1867-1890.

Hope this helps.

Gentlemen,

These responses are immensely helpful. Thanks for the information so far. I’m going to find a local gunsmith for further evaluation.

Semper Fi

And I'd say, simply preserve them. You may be able to find a similar reproduction rifle and obtain that to get the "feel" of what they were like to shoot. "Restoration" unless done by a highly accomplished builder normally reduces value, and they were obviously valued, having been stored in a safe.

LD

Those are interesting. Thank for sharing
You might give the guys at Euless Guns and Ammo in Hurst or the Winchester Gallery Gun Store in Fort Worth a call to see if they can get you going in the right direction too. As mentioned already one of the various muzzleloading clubs might be able to help you as well.

Latest posts

Back