• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm ruined! I did it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O.K. wise guys, I did it!!!!!
The G.M. .62 smoothie. 50 each .600 and .610 Baffalo balls, wads and such are one the way.
Now tell me what size patch material I need please?
manure, I forgot to get a short started for it.
Oh, that's alright, I have an old broken boat oar that orta fit that gapping big muzzle. :bull: ::

That .610 ball won't need a patch. My .62 won't take a vey thick patch with a .600 ball.The boat oar will work just fine. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Welcome to the world of the big boys...

Ohhh, that .75 is looking better, big big big...

hey Maxiball- that .600 ball should allow around a .012" patch if the ball is pure. You might even get a .015 to work. The beauty of the smoothies is having a ball/patch that 'just' fits, loads slickern a rifle-gun and kills about anything this side of a cape buff out to 100 yds. I'd also try some .595's if I could find them. That is the size ALL of the guys up here use in their .62 cal. foulers. it allows a sligtly thicker patch than the .600 ball. Since they can now get a Lee mould for a .600, they would parobably use that - much cheaper than the Lyman mould, BUT bigger is not always better, especialy in a smoothbore.
: for the .610., I would try a ctg. after made Post-it pads can be used for the ctg. paper- self-glued makes them easy to use. After made, I'd dip them in melted bullet lube, either comercial BP lube, or 60% beeswax, 40% neetsfoot oil (not compound). Melt in a double boiler, dip the ctg. down to below 1/2 way on the ball. Once cold and hard, it will be OK to handle. This should shoot very accurately, and quite cleanly as well.- Enjoy! hint- spiral-wound ctgs., cone shaped with sharp taper look and handle better than straight tubular ones. When biting off the end, you will have a tiny pour spout for priming, then stuff it into the muzzle, powder down. By the time you get the wiping stick out, the power will have drained downout of the paper ctg. Ram the whole works down, and fire. This is very fast, especially with a short gun. This is how I could load the .69 rifle in 8 seconds. our's shold be faster due to not having to cap, but that might be relative to priming out of the ctg.
: Do have a LOT of fun with that smoothbore.
Daryl

One thing everyone must keep in mind when shooting smoothbores is, they're not rifles...

Keep this in mind and your expectations wont be shot... (pun)

Aw gheesh! You guys are awful! :curse: :bull:
Now I suppose I'll just have to get a Bess and really shoot a big bore! :shocking:
(love those graemlins)
I might as well get all the toys I want while I'm still single as there is a dandy female setting a bear trap for me as we speak. ::
Moosketperson.
O.K. tell me about your Bess. I saw one somewhere, I think Heritage Arms? or something for 495.00 bucks.
Is that a deal?

I saw one somewhere, I think Heritage Arms? or something for 495.00 bucks.
Is that a deal?

I paided $650 for mine ten years ago, $495 is a deal and a half... :winking:

I got a GM .62 caliber smoothbore last week. I shoot .600 diameter roundball, pillow tick cotten cloth (from Wal Mart) lubed with Mink Oil. This is a nice tight fit. I have to work on the powder charge some but I think it will be a very accurate shooter out to say 75 yards. Wait until you see the roundball... :haha: talk about making you smile. I have no idea the size of the Bess Ball being .75 caliber but it must look like a marble...

Aw man you guys are awful! I don't need another gun OR cailber...............but, what the heck?
A .75 is really BIG!
I want one.
manure I work so many hours I haven't even fired those beauties tht birddog6 built for me and I've had them since Feb.
I gotta take some time off and go shoot. ::

Cayugad - Try puting a cushon wad on top of the powder then your PRB it helps my fowler. Hey Maxiball I had a job that enterfered with evey thing I wanted to do so i quit. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Aw man you guys are awful! I don't need another gun OR cailber...............but, what the heck?
A .75 is really BIG!
I want one.

And just think there maxie, about 50 miles away from you sits musketman's bess, just waiting for you to hold her and shoot...

One shot is all it will take to overwhelm you in her magic...

Yes- MM - and he could bring the guns Birddog6 build so you could see them. Have your wife call in sick for him. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeah - both shops appear to have nice ones. I had considered the Blunderbuss instead of a musket, but may have to get one later. Bess comes first, for now, at least.
: The Steel barrel .75 bore will be the 1st choice.
Daryl

:: Hell Maxieball, ya'll dont need no patichin with them smoothies, just shove that .600 ball down the tube and let her rip :shocking:course a dirty tube helps :applause: :applause:

:: Hell Maxieball, ya'll dont need no patichin with them smoothies, just shove that .600 ball down the tube and let her rip :shocking:course a dirty tube helps :applause: :applause:
.600 may be a tad under-sized for the .75 bore, you might want to use a bigger ball for this...

I have done that with my bess, I would use a .735 round ball with no patch for a quick follow up shot, reloading on the run...

One thing to remember when doing this, if the barrel is pointing somewhat down, the ball could also roll off of the main charge and become a barrel obstruction...

I agree with Musketman - the .715 is a small as you'll want to go in a .75 Bess. They work well with paper patch and with cloth, but the .735 stands a chance at the best accuracy with either. .600 is defintiley too small for a patch. On the other hand, many's a time when small acl balls were used for night duty, from 9 to 15 buckshot to 1/2 dozen or so small pistol balls, .36 to .45.
: Up above, I stated that bigger is not always better. That will come in with really long barrels (maybe 46") that require a thick enough patch to hold sufficient lube for cleaning when you shoot. You will also be amazed, I'm sure, the accuracy you will get from the .735 loaded bare ball or in a paper ctg. Just recently, shooting a .77 cal Bess, and .715 balls in paper ctgs. was able to keep them under 4" at 25yds. Had the paper been 3 or 4 wrapps, they'd have shot even closer. The ones I had had been made for a .75 (11 bore) Bess, not the 10 bore. They, including apaer, actually fell down to the powder without the rod. The rod still has to be used to pack the paper onto the powder charge. Too, a cast ball can hang up on the sprue. This is why they went to swaged balls in the 1840's.
: The buff hunters, running the shaggys from horseback used to carry a mouth full and rely of the spit on the ball to hold it down on the powder. I imagine they rung or blew up some tubes, and also swallowed a few balls - not reccommended.
Daryl

Back