• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm ruined! I did it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K. to all you corrupting influences out there.
I got it ! My G.M .62 and two boxes of Buffalo Bullet round balls, .600 and .610 came today.
Now I just have to find time to shoot it. Maybe tomorrow if this monsoon stops. :curse:

maxi - Well, if you would stop eating all that ham, maybe you would have time! Are you a ham fanatic or something?

Moosketperson:
YEH! I finally hit the big time. I'm a big boy now.
If it would only stop raining long enough to shoot the thing.
It's about 00:30am and the rain is turning to SNOW! :curse:

It can't rain all the time...

Soon, you'll be loading it up for the first time, what a magical minute that will be for you...

Can't wait to read about your experience with the large bore...

25 yds. is a very good range to develope a load, and test ctgs. I'd start around 75gr. and try a combination of at patches, before going any higher. Most of the guys up here use around 3 drams (82gr.) for hunting in the .62's. That moose in the front yard last night was at a normal range for gunning moose here in this neck of the woods, especialy when called in. The .62 & anything larger is a good size smooth-bore for this type of hunting.
: Good luck with your smoothie.
: Later, we'll get into lapping in a .002" choke, which improves both RB and shot shooting.
Daryl

With any luck I'll shoot the thing in the morning. It's nice to live in the woods with a 75 yard range in the back yard!
I don't have moose, but the other evening I saw 6 deer behind the house. I've got squirrels galore, the big fat fox squirrels big as house cats!
Cats? Somebody say cats? Where's my rifle? :curse:
Nuther reason we are so hard on stray cats in my area is that we live in a rabbies alert county. Rabies is rampant and stray cats spread the disease more than racoons do.
Lap a choke in the barrel? Sounds interesting. Sort of a jug or reverse choke?

No, not a jug choke - I did that to the little .44 smoothbore, and while it continued to shoot ball well enough for rabbits to 40 yds. it really turned on with shot. The area I enlarged by about .003/4" was about 4' long, 2" back from the muzzle. I shot 10 straight from the 16 yard line once- HA!- once. I was shooting 1/2 ounce of #8 1/2 shot - reclaimed, at that. Every bird broke in 1/2 or a small piece only came off. I thought I'd missed the last one, but was told a piece came off and they gave it too me. I think they wre seeing things. The rest of the guys were shooting 2ounces in their 12's and magnum 12's, but way too much powder- like 4 1/2 drams- there were more than a few sore cheeks that day.
: Reverse choke - that would be tight at the breech, tapered to larger at the muzzle- nope- the other way 'round. A slight taper, breech to muzzle, with the muzzle being 2 thou tighter. I read an article back in 73, I think, explaining the heavy machine rest guns of the 1880's & 1890's, and their choked barrels with just that same, or even steeper taper. The .50 barrel I was shooting at that time was made of some kind of leaded steel, easily worked, but tough. It had a 38" twist, a bit slow, but OK for short slugs. The 370gr. TC maxiball shot especially well in it, running an inch at times off the bags a 100yds. using a tang sight and hooded aperature on the front. I wasn't very much into asthetics in those days, but was an accuracy nut. That came from position & bench rest shooting, which I also did some of. The choked barrel gave consistancy to my groups, with more under 1 1/4" than before,so there was an increase in consistant accuracy.
: I wanted to do that to the .44 smoothie, but never got around to it after putting in the jug shoke to improve it's initial horrible shot patterns. The jug worked for shot, but the straight choke, breech to muzzle would have improved both, of that I'm certain. The ball/patch will easily take the extra slight choke at the muzzle, and load more freely as it went down. Upon ignition, the ball would obturate slightly, and get tighter, on the way out, kinda like what the US army's progressive depth rifling did, being deeper at the breech than at the muzzle. I didn't known until recently, that they were rifling much the same as the British Enfields. The rifling was .015' deep at the breech, but only about .003" deep at the muzzle. The (minnie) ball would be held tighter and tighter, the closer it got to the muzzle, but wouldn't be excessively so, as would happen with a normal choked barrel's muzzle. 2 or 3 points of choke in the full length of the barrel is nothing to the round ball or a slug for that matter.
: Lets see how it shoots first, before doing anything like that. Once you get a good load for her, I'm betting you'll be surprised at the close range accuracy.
Daryl

As soon as I get a chance, maybe tomorrow? I'll fire that big boy up and see what it'll do.
Odds are though that I'll have to work the week-end again. :curse:

Yahoooooooo! The weather was NICE and I got a small amount of time to actually shoot something that loads from the front and takes real black powder.
Yup I fired up the .62 smoothie. Yup sure did and what a great experience.
Right off the bat I found problems. My balls are too big!
The .600 are too large for my thinest ticking which is .015.
Well, I was gonna shoot her no matter what so I used T-shirt material.
My girl friend didn't like it much, but what the heck it wasn't MY T-shirt. Besides, no one could see all the holes in her T-shirt in my back yard! :haha:
Anyway, being the prudent person I am I started shooting with light loads. Yessire, only 120 grains of Swiss 1.5 fg under the .600 roundball.
I cranked off the first shot at 25 yards, and when I regained conciousness about 20 minutes later I found the first shot was only about 2" right of dead bull.
No fooling around with sights just yet.
That was so much fun that I loaded 'er up again despite the protestations of my girl friend, who is rather reserved and a delicate creature. She doesn't understand that such things are FUN to black powder people.
She was saying something about a possible concussion when I let loose with #2. After I woke up :snore: I found #2 about two inches right of #1 and dead bullseye.
I have no idea where the girl friend went, but she was kind enough to leave me what was left of her T-shirt so I could continue shooting.
Suffice it to say that load is just a bit stiff even for a recoil junkie like me.
Anyway #3 shot went about an inch low of dead bull leaving me with a group of aobut 3", a sore shoulder and a throbbing headache. (and looking for another girlfiend)
I got to shoot another 3 shot group, this time with about 80 grains of Swiss 1.5fg. I don't remember the exact load as I drifted in and out of a slight coma like state, but it was about 80 grains.
I had to quit after 6 shots as the Air Force was doing a fly-by to investigate the mushroom cloud hanging over my place, the Sheriff drove by real slow, the cows in the entire county dried up, and the neighbors dogs were digging holes to hide in. ::
All in all I was impressed with how easy cleaning the smooth bore is.
Next week-end I'm gonna try some heavy loads and see how she performs. (the gun, not the girlfriend!) :haha: :haha:

Well, glad you shot it - all I can say about the rest, is Uh Huh! - eh. You wouldn't be exaggerrating, would you? My .69 used 265gr. GOEX as a normal diet with 484gr. balls, not the 320gr.'s or whatever the .600's weigh. I accidently touched off 330gr.(double powder charge) with a single round ball - that one lifted me up off the seat about 2"- bumped the shoulder a bit too. OK-all macho aside, THAT one Kicked!!!: 120gr.(145GOEX equivalent velocity) doesn't really kick much, especally with such a light ball. Your bore should be .62 - .030 (2-thickness patch) = .590 required ball. The .595 ball will fit with .015 patches and shoot just fine. Pure Cotton, Rugby pant material runs .015" as well. Track has patches down to .009 if you want an almost perfect fit, but buying patches pre-cut doesn't sit well with me. I'd rather cut them myself on the muzzle or before-hand. The .600 ball will work with a .012, probably the tightest patch with Pure Lead or maybe 1:30 or 1:40 tim to lead. WW or other hardened lead will probably require thinner patches. If your girl-firend's the shirt is pure cottom & not stretched too bad :eek:, might as well use it up. Due to the low pressures, (relatively) the T-shirt probably stood up OK with 80gr. but 120gr. Swiss - about equal to 145gr. GOEX??? Pressure's getting up around 7,000/8,000 LUP, maybe, according to Lyman's .58 data.(an guestimation by failing memory syndrome)
Daryl

Daryl,
Thanks for the info on patch material. I think I have some thinner tight cotton weave about .010 laying around somewhere.
Maybe I should order some .590 balls though.
Exaggerate??? Me? Why I have no idea what you mean. :bull:
:haha: :haha:

Maxiball- .600 balls are to big for a patch in my .62 fowler. I can shoot bare balls by loading a cushion wad and put a shot card over the ball. Why so much powder? Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maxiball- What about the .610 ball you have did you try them. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maxieball:
Does your girlfriend read your post? :haha:

Glad you had a great time...
sfest2002offhand.jpg

I have a North Star West .62 cal. that actually mic's .618 at the muzzle. The only thing i can use for patching with a .600 ball is cotton t-shirt material or linen handkerchief fabric. I found that mine shoots just as well using no patch. I just load 70 grs. of 3f Goex, and an over powder. Then i load a 1/2 a lubed fiber cushion wad started just below the muzzle. Then i place the rd. ball on the cushion wad, sprue up, and place a thin overshot card wad on top and seat the fiber wad, ball, and card wad all at once.

Maxiball,

Treat yourself and make some paper cartridges. I shoot 0.650" balls in a 0.662" bore with these. You'll need a dowel or cigar tube the size of your roundball, a pattern of wood or cardboard to cut the paper, carpet thread or thin twine and a glue-stick.

http://www.serve.com/rbriggs/couriers/9-96/cartridge.html

English (easier)

engcart.gif

French (you'll need a better glue for these than glue-stick)

frencart.gif

I use old typewriter onionskin paper dipped in melted 50:50 beeswax/Crisco (dip just the ball end, not the whole thing). It is brittle enough that it tears well in my teeth, looks old, and doesn't soak up the grease into the powder like copier paper seems to. For warm weather I'll make a wax paper inner squib to hold the powder so the grease can't soak into it. I tear off the unwaxed cartridge for these instead of just packing it in on top of the ball.

Stumpkiller, I use a tapred plug for mine, instead of parallel sided one. With the paper almost coming to a point at the powder end, which is folded over and either glued or a piece of making tape to seal over the flap, when you bite and tear open the ctg., you automatically have a small pouring spout for priming. Very little powder is wasted. Then, shove the pointy end into the barrel and by the time you've got the wiping stick out of the rod channel, the powder will have drained down into the breech. THEN shove the entire works down the barrel to the top of the powder. The excess paper will wad up between the ball and powder charge and effectively seal the pressure behind.
: Yes - they are very accurate. In my .69 rifle as well as undersized balls (.715) in my bros Bess with a .775 bore. Inthe bBess, theystayed around 3" at 25yds. while patched ball was jsut a single hole gorup. With larger balls in the bess CTG. for HIS musket, the accuracy would probalby have been as good as patched ball. they wre meant for a true .75 musket, not a 10 bore like his.
: When asembling, the powder is dropped in first, with the tip already folded or glued. Then the ball dropped in, sprue aligned up using ascrew driver or awl, and the paper folded and glued or taped which is much easier. Three pieces of tape 1/4" by 1/4": for each ctg. makes making up these loads very easy. I would think "Post-It" pad sheets sould work well too. For ctgs. for .75 or .69, 1/4 sheet of normal printing paper is all that's needed per ctg.
; These are .715 balls in paper ctgs. 7 same size down works for the .662 ball. Slightly smaller would work for 62's with the large end of the plug being 5/8" dia. straight tapered to 1/8" tip. The ctg. is rolled on the plug, sliped off, and folded fro gling or toper, which is easier. I've never had a paper ctg. catch fire in the barrel. these are identical to the ones I made for my .69 rifle, which shot them into the same group as patched ball - both shooting 1 1/2" groups from the bench at 100yds. - one big hole for 5 shots.
; These ctgs. can be carried int he pocket or in a pouch on the belt. I've carried them in a pocket all hunting season without them receiving damage or coming apart.
Daryl
:
ctg.%20pouch%203.JPG

Moosketperson, Daryl, et.al.
First and foremost let me say that I have never encountered such fine people anywhere else. What a good feeling it is to get so much good advice from experienced people.

MM. NO! Never ever let your wife or significant other read your posts. They might begin to understand what we do and that could be disasterous.

Daryl. Well if you'd a told me to make 'em look like ice cream cones I'd a got it right off! ::

No I haven't tried the .610 balls as the .600 are so big I had to use T-shirt material for patches, but that isn't the best thing to use so I'll have to find some thinner tight weave cotton. I might have some laying around.

IMPORTANT question for you guys.
Is the .62 Green Mountain barrel a true 20 ga., or a 19 ga.?
Will 20 ga. wads work or should I buy some 19ga. from Circle Fly Wads?

Latest posts

Back