• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm ruined! I did it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocky: "Why so much powder?"
Is that too much?
What is a more normal load, remember I'm a recoil junkie!
Does anyone know what the velocity might be for a .600 roundball with 70, 80, 90, 100 grains of 2fg?

Maxiball - What I was going by is 80 gr. is a big charg in a 20 ga. shotgun. Volocity' I have no idea, but what differance dose it make you hit some thing with that big ball its going to hurt. Ask Musketman. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Not having chronographed a 20bore, but having done quite a bit with the .69, I'd assume you would get approx. 1,300fps with 80gr. 3F GOEX. My .69 ran 1,240 with 82gr. 3F with it's heavier ball of 484gr. In that rifle, I had to go to 165gr. 2F to get 1,500fps. The reason for the switch is that more than 80gr. 3F shredded the patches, but they'd take up to 200gr. of 2F and still be usable.
: I once shot a 5 shot group of 1 1/2" at 50yd. offhand using the same patch over and over, with a 125gr. 2F load. That amount of powder gave me 1,300fps. Yeah - it took another 40gr. to get an extra 200fps. in my 30" barrel. If I remember correctly, 110gr. 2F gave me the same vel. as 80gr. 3F. My vel with 82gr.2F was only 1,000fps. Switching to 82gr. 3F gained 240fps. Velocity comes slowly in a 60" twist 14 bore. Bro's first 46", .75 Bess got 1,080fps with 82gr. 2F, a bit more vel than my 30", 14 bore. The longer barrels do help with velocity.
: The last time I shot the rifle, I had reduced the hunting load to 125gr. of 2F. AT that, it gave fairly light recoil, mostly due to it's styling. The butt plate was a full 2" and a bit wide.
Daryl

Rocky: Good point about having big balls....er, ...ah.... I mean big balls hit hard at any velocity.
That .600 weighs over 300 grains and at even 1000 f.p.s. would probably still got through a whitetail with ease.

Latest posts

Back