• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If you have.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Restocked a Renegade into a Pecatonica tc stock and DIDN'T use the Renegade butt plate, what butt plate did you find to be a good fit to their tc precarve?

I have done a number of the TC Pecatonica re-stocks and have not used the Renegade butt plate. Actually have never considered using one, though I probably have three or four in ‘inventory’. All I did was eyeball a likely butt plate candidate in the TOW catalog and go from there.

Here is a photograph of one on a currently ‘stalled’ Pecatonica TC full stock project in the shop (my bad). I had a TC percussion barrel and tang, now debating between a TC lock (that I have) or a L&R lock. Memory isn’t clear as to the exact butt plate that I purchased, I just matched up the stock with one in the TOW catalog using their to scale photographs and made it work. Pretty straight forward installation.
1649298137242.jpeg

Photograph below is of the above installed butt plate on top of a TOW catalog page. May or may not be the one in the catalog, but as long as you have enough butt plate and stock wood, you can easily make one fit.
1649298353197.jpeg

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I too looked in the track catalog and saw a few that might work based on the pecatonica description of the stock. I don't have the stock yet so I was kinda shooting in the dark. I'm going to wait until I have the stock in hand and have some actual measurements.

Yours looks real good 👍

I have two Renegades in two calibers but the stocks don't have enough drop at the heel. They seem to be designed for scope mounting.

The Pecatonica TC replacement stocks definitely have more drop than the factory TCs. I like the feel and look of the full length stocks. I have a GM 50 caliber 32” long roundball TC drop-in barrel taking up space that I believe will find a home in a full length Pecatonica stock, just because. Not sure if one would call a gun like that a TC, with the only TC component being the tang.

I considered the full stock but it would just look a little off with a 26" barrel.
The time might come when I fit it with a longer barrel in 62. 😀

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I too looked in the track catalog and saw a few that might work based on the pecatonica description of the stock. I don't have the stock yet so I was kinda shooting in the dark. I'm going to wait until I have the stock in hand and have some actual measurements.

Yours looks real good 👍

I have two Renegades in two calibers but the stocks don't have enough drop at the heel. They seem to be designed for scope mounting.
Pecatonica has butt plates also. They have a steel butt plate for the Hawken stock they sell that works with the T/C replacement stock. If you wanted a brass butt plate they will probably have something that is close to the shape of the steel one. They will cut the stock to your length of pull.
I just bought a T/C replacement stock from Pec and am having them cut it for their Hawken plate.

Pecatonica has butt plates also. They have a steel butt plate for the Hawken stock they sell that works with the T/C replacement stock. If you wanted a brass butt plate they will probably have something that is close to the shape of the steel one. They will cut the stock to your length of pull.
I just bought a T/C replacement stock from Pec and am having them cut it for their Hawken plate.

Dang, I ordered the stock last Thursday and inquired about butt plates and was told they don't have them and that they don't sell parts. 😕 the stock arrived yesterday and I'm quite happy with it 😊 it's better than I expected. I'm thinking to go ahead with the Renegade BP. I'll be shooting 58 balls and occasionally 50 conicals so recoil wise maybe the flatter BP will be better.

Dang, I ordered the stock last Thursday and inquired about butt plates and was told they don't have them and that they don't sell parts. 😕 the stock arrived yesterday and I'm quite happy with it 😊 it's better than I expected. I'm thinking to go ahead with the Renegade BP. I'll be shooting 58 balls and occasionally 50 conicals so recoil wise maybe the flatter BP will be better.
They don’t have T/C parts or T/C butt plates. I was in their shop a few weeks ago (they are 30 minutes from work) and bought a T/C stock. They are cutting the stock for their Hawken kit butt plate. I’ve ordered a Hawken conversion trigger guard from Track. The Hawken Shop sells a conversion kit of steel butt plate, proper Hawken style trigger guard, nose cap and sight.

Pecatonica has butt plates also. They have a steel butt plate for the Hawken stock they sell that works with the T/C replacement stock.
Seems when I ordered the last couple of Pecatonica TC stocks they did not have butt plates, and actually suggested other suppliers as a potential source. Maybe they had them in the past…..

@SDSmlf

Pretty much what I was told last week. The do of course stock parts. I got the impression they just don't want to be a parts supplier. It might interfere with their primary business.

@SDSmlf

Pretty much what I was told last week. The do of course stock parts. I got the impression they just don't want to be a parts supplier. It might interfere with their primary business.
Posts on this thread made me take another look at the Pecatonica website. Wonder if you could individually purchase the ‘appropriate butt plate’ they sell with their Hawken kits and mate it with their TC replacement stocks? Have not asked nor do I know, but a ‘potential’ source. Might come down to talking to the right person and asking the correct question.

Might come down to talking to the right person and asking the correct question.

That I think is the key but it didn't come to mind as I was ordering. I've found several on TOW that would work but I've decided that I'm going to use the Renegade butt plate after all. I'm not trying to recreate a Hawken look but rather put together a more shootable rendering of the Renegade. For me the Renegade stocks don't have enough drop for shooting iron sights. I think tc was looking to appeal to those who want to mount scopes. Both of my Renegade barrels are drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Back