• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If you could own only one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 1860 Pietta that has provided alot of enjoyment. I have also fired the Rem 1858 and the 1851 Colts as well. Personally I feel the 1860 is the best, but I did like the grip of the 1851 better. However, the ram on the 1860 is a bit stronger.

Mike.54 said:
Great spirited discussions on this post! I can't resist adding my 2 cents.

Of the three I like the 58 remington. I don't own one but I have a pair of .31 pocket pistols. one brass frame the other steel.

But If I have to choose only one I have to go ROA.
A few points I would like state regarding this revolver.
1. Not period correct.
2. Loosely based on the 58 remington.
3. has a loading lever and nipples on the cylinder.
4. American made

I'm sad that the ROA is the only American made cap & ball One can buy. I Have several Italian made replica firearms and they are all well made and good looking pieces and great shooters. So as the Post says; If you could own only one. I know which one I'm packin.
Well, let's see:
1.Yup--it isn't period correct.
2.Nope--it's based on the old three screw Ruger, not the Remington.
3.Not sure what you mean here. Most large frame C&B revolvers have a loading lever. I have never seen a C&B revolver that DIDN'T have nipples on the cylinder.
4. It WAS American made. Apparently, despite its wonderfulness, they couldn't sell enough of them to keep it in production.
Don't fret. I'm sure that there will be a large supply of used ROAs available for sometime to come. No doubt at hugely inflated prices. And all the folks who wouldn't pay the price of a new one will now stand in line get fleeced on a used one! :rotf:

mykeal said:
Amazing.

The man asks a simple question - what single gun would you want to own - and some people just have to turn it into an opportunity to say what they DON'T like. Or why they don't like what someone else does.

Sure are a friendly bunch tonight.

mykeal,

Apparantly, Ruger bashing knows no bounds. It even carries over to BP forums.

Cage :wink:

After reading all of the post on this subject, a very good subject I might add, I will throw my hat into the ring :v .

Now as I understand it the original question was not limited to the three options stated. These three being suggested by Cave Dodger as some choices he had been looking at. Nowhere in the post does it limit the responses to these three revolvers. Other than being limited to ONE revolver there is no mention of the intended purpose, IE plinking, hunting, survival,
reenacting, self defence, or what have you. It doesnt even limit the choices to a revolver thus my choice would be a good single shot percussion pistol :rotf: .

On the plus side they are somewhat lighter than a revolver, about as fast or faster to reload as changing a cylinder is on a revolver :hmm: , can be loaded with very heavy charges if you think you need them :hmm: , balances about as well as a revolver :hmm: .

On the negative side is one shot verses six :bow: , but again it depends on the purpose :confused: , for self defence a revolver would definitely be better but for survival, hunting, or plinking a single shot would be great :bow: .

Having said all this I must admit that at this time I own a '51 navy in .44 and a '60 army sheriff's model and not one single shot to my name :surrender: but I am building one.

"thus my choice would be a good single shot percussion pistol"
Yeah. Exactly. Well, almost exactly. I'd go one step further back and have a good flintlock pistol.
I enjoy these kinds of discussions as they are topics that I think about in any case. "If I could only have one". "If I could only have three..."
To this end I bought a Kentucky flintlock pistol recently. What I like about flintlocks is that they allow me to get one step further from the grid; a little less dependent on commerce - as long as I can learn to nap my own flints. Of course, in this day and age that all may be an illusion....but it works for me.
Pete

What with the price of oil and the world situation in general and all, soon there may not be much of a grid left to get away from.

You can't go wrong with a Remington!! I love my Navy Arms Remmy target. Shoots like a dream. The cylinder is easy to swap out. It is pretty accurate and can take a stout load.

Latest posts

Back