• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If you could own only one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewarrior

32 Cal.
Reaction score
(like that would happen :wink: )which would it be. I've been doing a little research as far as pros and cons of different designs. Factors include: number of shots before cleaning, prone to cap debris jamming, ease of cylinder changes, etc.. I've narrowed my choices down to:
1. Colt 1860 .44
2. Remington 1858 .44
3. Rogers & Spencer .44

Would like to hear your input on the choices above or if you recommend something different.

Even though both the Ruger and Rogers & Spencer require a screwdriver to remove the cylinder?

Colt 1860. No real reason, except I have one and enjoy it enormously. Besides, reason doesn't enter into black powder shooting. graybeard

That'd be a hard decision to make, but I would have to toss a coin between an 1858 Remmy and the Rogers & Spencer. I own a screwdriver. :rotf:

lonewarrior said:
(like that would happen :wink: )which would it be. I've been doing a little research as far as pros and cons of different designs. Factors include: number of shots before cleaning, prone to cap debris jamming, ease of cylinder changes, etc.. I've narrowed my choices down to:
1. Colt 1860 .44
2. Remington 1858 .44
3. Rogers & Spencer .44

Would like to hear your input on the choices above or if you recommend something different.
I've got the Ruger OA, the Colt and the Remington 44s; hard to choose. Guess for just overall robustness, the choice would go to the ROA, altho not the most period correct. Mine dates back to about 1974 if I remember right; all are great fun to shoot!

Now you didn't define wether you wanted to be period correct. The Ruger old army may be a great piece BUT-- Try using it at a civil war event you would be asked to take the gun back to your car, or leave the event. and the same with any other period that you may try to reenact with it. I am not sure if the gun would be allowed in a NSSA, or other live fire event.
I have all 3 of the pistols listed and use them where they would apply historically.
As a side note They have finally found documentation that the R&S has been issued in limited quantities during the civil war.
My wife actually prefers to fire the R&S while I prefer the Remington

Poor Private said:
Now you didn't define wether you wanted to be period correct. The Ruger old army may be a great piece BUT-- Try using it at a civil war event you would be asked to take the gun back to your car, or leave the event. and the same with any other period that you may try to reenact with it. I am not sure if the gun would be allowed in a NSSA, or other live fire event.
I have all 3 of the pistols listed and use them where they would apply historically.
As a side note They have finally found documentation that the R&S has been issued in limited quantities during the civil war.
My wife actually prefers to fire the R&S while I prefer the Remington

Period correctness is not a factor. I am leaning though towards the Remington due to the ease of changing cylinders. Even though the Ruger and R&S do have high marks, needing a screwdriver to change cylinders is a mark against them.

1858! used to have one and wish I still did as it is the easiest to use cap and ball and also with a conversion cylinder for cartridges with out any mods to the gun for reloading. next would be a 1851( better feel and balance for me ) and then the 1860 like the one I now own but would trade it in a heart beat for an 1858!

Amazing.

The man asks a simple question - what single gun would you want to own - and some people just have to turn it into an opportunity to say what they DON'T like. Or why they don't like what someone else does.

Sure are a friendly bunch tonight.

!858 Remington for the simple reason that they look so COOOL!!--cheers zodd

R+S...its a model of a much rarer gun I think, both historically and now as far as contemporary repros go, and a good well kept R+S repro should continue to hold its collector value and maybe even appreciate accordingly...just my own idea on matters...
T.Albert

Latest posts

Back