• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

identify old flint guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walter o

Pilgrim
Reaction score
need help identifying an old flinter
lock marked More Baker
bbl marked US also NWP top of barrel looks like R sterling & newberg
\tang marked 1836
Barrel 42" long with front sight, smooth bore about60-70 cal. full stock dark like walnut. no carving pewter nose cap brass Farrel all pined to stock pins also holding barrel to stock. Any thoughts on this fouler

The "AMERICAN FIREARMS MAKERS", by A. Merwyn Carey, © 1953 shows there was a R. Sterling in Newburgh, New York. He was a gunmaker around 1840.

No other information is given and the name doesn't show up in my other references.

Walter,

Welcome Aboard!!

What it sounds like to me is you have what is or at least once was a U.S. Contractor Made Musket, that may been restocked? The reason I ask about the restock is you described the barrel having been held to the stock with pins? Contractor Flintlock muskets of this era were .69 caliber and held to the stock with barrel bands.

The date of 1836, "U.S." and the "N.W.P." are dead giveaways to it having been a contractor musket. N. W. P. were the initials of N. W. Patch, U. S. Inspector of Contract Arms, 1834-1840 at plant of Nathan Starr.

Moore & Baker was a firm that made locks for contractors and other folks.

As to the "R. Sterling and Newberg," if this was restocked and or converted later on for civilian use, this may be the firm that did it.

Gus

Latest posts

Back