• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Carolina Gun build / canoe length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• IMG_20230220_131753~2.jpg
    IMG_20230220_131753~2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230220_131743.jpg
    IMG_20230220_131743.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230220_131757~2.jpg
    IMG_20230220_131757~2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230220_115427.jpg
    IMG_20230220_115427.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230220_131923.jpg
    IMG_20230220_131923.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Oh , I dont dislike them ! I've made a bunch of them and like them a bunch just want folks to realize they do have their limitations . Great little light guns ! Here is the first Canoe length NW gun I made , probably around 1997 .
Just started a short barreled .62cal fowler. I don't plan on shooting much shot out of it, mostly round ball. Is there a limitation on how good a round ball shoots? Another question could a jug choke help on the shot, and would that make a round ball shoot bad?

Just started a short barreled .62cal fowler. I don't plan on shooting much shot out of it, mostly round ball. Is there a limitation on how good a round ball shoots? Another question could a jug choke help on the shot, and would that make a round ball shoot bad?
Usually a short barreled gun is not hampered by round ball inaccuracy its the shot patterns that suffer. I would never have a jug choked barrel as it limits the gun to shot shooting only . The whole idea of a smoothbore is to have a gun that is versatile and can kill any type of game , making the gun no good for round ball shooting is a detriment . Now , I've heard folks say jug choke doesn't effect round ball shooting but I have no idea where that BS is coming from . The longer the barrel , the better performance your going to get . Short barrels can be great but just consider everything before making your decision . Dragging a 48" around my place , your not going to be very happy , too brushy . A short barreled Fusil would be just fine , your not going to get any shots past 35-40 yards . Stuff like that ... For better patterns with short barrels you can use shot cups , modern wads , taped, and shot bags , lots of tricks

Thanks Rob M. for the info. Have done a little shooting with a 12 gauge flinter that I jug choked using round ball with patch and using a over powder cushion wad shot fair, w/o the wad it shot to the right, but I have problems with sunny days and no rear sight so the experiment will have to wait for a cloudy day and maybe glue a rear sight on the barrel. As for the short barreled one I'm building will be a round ball shooter only. Again thanks for the info.

Back