• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identification help?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friar_Tuck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok guys,
Another topic on the CVA mountain rifle has got me thinking. I bought this rifle this winter at a gunshow. It was $50 out the door. It looked to be a kit that no one bothered to do anything on, in the white. The only markings I can see are:

50 Cal. Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. black powder only MADE IN USA 0000184

The rod thimbles are 6 sided, and the patchbox has 4 screws.
Is this a mountain rifle?
if I decide to sell this beast, what is a fair price to expect?
As my questions probably tell you, I am new to this stuff. After shooting various modern, and Milsurp rifles for years, I have recently developed an interest in Black powder. i am now building a Vincent from TOTW.
DSC_0010.jpg

Thanks,
Now for the next newbie question. What ball diameter, patch material/thickness/lube, powder charge would be a good starting point?
Friar

Tuck,
Start with a .490 ball, ~.015" patch, lube with crisco, 60gr Goex ffg.
Shoot from a bench and I guess I'd vary the patch thickness first.
It's a simple engineering study; you vary one factor at a time.
Check some threads about lubes, but it's hard to get cheaper than crisco.
Or send me the gun and I'll study on it awhile...

Frier: Yep that a Mountain rifle alright. Its one of the Douglas barreled guns. Should be and excellent shooter. Mine shot well with 50gr for target out to 100yds Hunting load of 80 to 90 still held good group at 100yds. The gun is better than most of us can handle. Value I won't say except it was a good deal and everybody on the forum would have jumped at that deal.
Glad to have you join this great hobby.
Fox :thumbsup:

"Its one of the Douglas barreled guns."

Can anyone prove this? Please! I'm serious.

LeatherMoose said:
Tuck,
Start with a .490 ball, ~.015" patch, lube with crisco, 60gr Goex ffg.
Shoot from a bench and I guess I'd vary the patch thickness first.
It's a simple engineering study; you vary one factor at a time.
Check some threads about lubes, but it's hard to get cheaper than crisco.
Or send me the gun and I'll study on it awhile...

If just plinking or target shooting, I go for spit patches, (spit is cheaper than Crisco) keeps the fouling down and one can go many shots without swabbing or wiping.

Greased or lubed patches, I reserve those for hunting or trekking, where the piece would be loaded for hours, or all day.

Thanks guys for all the replies. I think I better hang on to this one, as I won't be able to replace it. i was hoping for a beater to take in the woods for deer, and this one sounds perfect. As it is midwinter up here, it may be a bit before I can put your suggestions to practice. in the meantime I will be casting some balls and such. Once again, thanks for the great site!
Friar :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back