• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ID This Old Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Newbie to this forum, looking to ID a rifle like I have never seen. It weights 27.5#, is 59" OAL, 40.5" barrel, bore is rifled appears to measure .625" w calipers.
Appears Prussian or Germania, but I'm guessing.
Heard it referred to as Stockade Gun.
Thanks in advance.
Ps no visible proofs or stampings.
Maybe initials M.A.A.
Square key in side compartment with lid that slides to rear. No overall pics just details, hope these are good enough

Member Dan Parsons

The was moved on behalf of @Dan Parsons

LD

Newbie to this forum, looking to ID a rifle like I have never seen. It weights 27.5#, is 59" OAL, 40.5" barrel, bore is rifled appears to measure .625" w calipers.
Thanks in advance.
Maybe initials M.A.A.
Square key in side compartment with lid that slides to rear. No overall pics just details, hope these are good enough

Member Dan Parsons

LD
Thank you Dave, for the assistance in my efforts. It is a massive thing to see anyone " shouldering", thus the stockade or fixed position seems appropriate.

It might actually have been an Amusette...

Amusette C.jpg
Amusette D.jpg

LD

Better long shots of project.
To aide in identification.
Also spotted script on trigger guard
L Mill
Or L Mills

Thanks again
Dan

Attachments

• 20210214_195940.jpg
    20210214_195940.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210214_195841.jpg
    20210214_195841.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Thanks in advance.
Maybe initials M.A.A.

Member Dan Parsons

LD
Some sort of wheel lock or Snaphaunce? Hybrid?
Fine workmanship!

A wheellock. And a very large one at that. At that weight I would suppose it was made as a wall or rampart type gun. Or maybe an Amusette as mentioned above. It looks legit to me. But maybe not as old for a wheellock as some might think. The Dog (hammer) that holds the pyrite (versus flint) is clamped on the left side of the hammer. So it doesn't show in these photos. The style of the hammer is what is commonly seen on what is often called Tschinke style wheellocks. But the Tschinke rifles were made/used around the mid-1750's as sporting rifles in small calibers. And the guns were highly decorated for the aristocratic classes in Germany/Bavaria. The wheellock was long out of use during this time. But a renewed interest developed among these classes as somewhat of a fad during this time.

But this gun is a large, rifled gun and undecorated. Looks more like it was made for long range military use (?) This would be a good gun to post in the "Pre-Flintlock" section of the Forum. There are some experts on wheellocks. First one of these I've ever seen in wheellock.

Rick

Last edited:
Amazing fire lock, as BIG as she is!

Thoughts:
  • Noticed there's no pintle on the bottom of the forestock to attach to some carriage or support
  • Patina looks old
  • Springs look old
  • But screws look modern with the flathead could be a new stock or re-stock of an original lock
  • Noticed the rear sight block post, very common on German arms in the 1800s, but really haven't seen much earlier
Although this is the 'Firearms ID' forum, I do agree that early arms would likely get far more visibility in the Pre-Flintlock forum.

Back