• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ID request (E. Schilling)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwatLorD

32 Cal
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am new to the gun scene and try to learn a bit. I am from Belgium.
Recently I acquired a hand gun shown in the pics.
The stamps indicate it was made by Eduardo Schilling (Barcelona, Spain).
Can anyone help me with the production date? Any relevant information this gun would be very helpful.
Messenger_creation_7f627484-b23e-4161-95f7-91c5c9cf1a25.jpeg
Messenger_creation_e85071e2-18e4-4b43-ab82-dd06e2b7b2cc.jpeg
Messenger_creation_0a3d2ba0-eb12-4269-a549-f2901ec1e0bf.jpeg
Messenger_creation_4e9271c2-bc80-49b7-81d4-1fa43bd9ef4e.jpeg

THAT will get the job done. Looks like it might be 20 gauge.....

I'm pretty sure that's a pin-fire shotgun, converted over to be a pistol. The pin-fire system was a transitional system between caplock and rimfire/centerfire cartridges. A pin protruded from the barrel, which was impacted by the hammer, and at the opposite end of the pin was priming compound that would detonate and ignite the powder in the cartridge or shell. It had two flaws..., first, if loading fast one had to be certain that the pin was oriented into the barrel slot.... and second IF the shell or cartridge was dropped and landed on the pin, the ammunition would likely detonate. Might not cause a serious wound, but not a fun time.

The system pretty much died in Europe right as the American Civil War ended, and it wasn't a very popular system here in The States.

Pinfire Shotshell.jpg
Pinfire Shotshell cutaway.jpg

We don't talk about breechloaders much on this Forum, and when we do, we draw the line at post 1865, and also at those that use ignition methods held within the shell. Probably best to keep this thread short.

LD

THAT will get the job done. Looks like it might be 20 gauge.....

I'm pretty sure that's a pin-fire shotgun, converted over to be a pistol. The pin-fire system was a transitional system between caplock and rimfire/centerfire cartridges. A pin protruded from the barrel, which was impacted by the hammer, and at the opposite end of the pin was priming compound that would detonate and ignite the powder in the cartridge or shell. It had two flaws..., first, if loading fast one had to be certain that the pin was oriented into the barrel slot.... and second IF the shell or cartridge was dropped and landed on the pin, the ammunition would likely detonate. Might not cause a serious wound, but not a fun time.

The system pretty much died in Europe right as the American Civil War ended, and it wasn't a very popular system here in The States.

View attachment 297521 View attachment 297522

We don't talk about breechloaders much on this Forum, and when we do, we draw the line at post 1865, and also at those that use ignition methods held within the shell. Probably best to keep this thread short.

LD
Thank you very much. Does it have any value on the market?

Looks like a cut-off single barrel, made into a pistol.
Pinfire production established post 1850
Jones Underlever- post 1860
Not much quality or value.
Enjoy, nonetheless

I went back and took a close look at the stock. It looks like the pistol grip is a separate piece of wood grafted on and I do believe it was modified from a single barrel shotgun, nice work though. What caliber/gauge is it? Rifled or smoothbore?

Correct me if I am wrong but I have always understood that these forums are only for muzzle loaders and not breech loaders or inclines ?
Feltwad

Correct me if I am wrong but I have always understood that these forums are only for muzzle loaders and not breech loaders or inclines ?
Feltwad
Hi, in post #2, Loyalist Dave is a staff member and explains the forum rule on this breechloader. Your not alone because even though I was interested in the firearm, I wasn’t sure it would be aloud.

Back