• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rare Colt 1860

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired this revolver and would like some feedback from the members out there. The serial number 924 indicates the first year of production and it has the inspectors stamp on the grips, indicating a military gun. I found where SN 923 was part of a 500 gun shipment that was shipped on April 15, 1861 to Peter Williams & Co. Richmond, VA. for Lt. J. Low, CSN, CSS Alabama. Ironic that was the same day that Fort Sumter was fired upon which started the Civil War. The gun is really in good shape and the cylinder rotates in sync when the hammer is cocked. Of course I am not going to fire it, but I believe it could be fired. All the serial numbers match and the left side grip has the intial H carved on it. Further research informed me that this shipment of 500 guns were eventually issued to the 1st Virginia Cavalry. Take a look at this old veteran and chime in on as to what you think it might be worth.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2316.JPG
    IMG_2316.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 281
I worked in D.C. for four years and hunted on land near Winchester. My GG Grandfather was a cavalry scout for Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade and was shot in the leg before the battle of Pea Ridge, AR. Did you GG Grandfather or his decendants eventually come to Texas? That is where this gun ended up.

I worked in D.C. for four years and hunted on land near Winchester. My GG Grandfather was a cavalry scout for Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade and was shot in the leg before the battle of Pea Ridge, AR. Did you GG Grandfather or his decendants eventually come to Texas? That is where this gun ended up.
No, but he was close to Texas, he was captured at Egypt Station, Mississippi, December 1864 and sent to the Point Lookout Maryland POW camp. At the end of the war he returned back home to the Charles Town area, now in the new state of West Virginia.

Beautiful gun, wish it could talk. I have no idea as to value but from what I have seen, being a Confederate piece will at a minimum double it in value compared to one that isn't.
Robby

original 1860 Colt. manufactured by a Connecticut Yankee. shipped to the south the day the war of northern aggression started.
in excellent condition with provenance. you will be as older then i am and toothless to boot before you see another.

In no way do I mean to bash OP's nice revolver, but I still fail to see what makes this particular one 'rare'...?

I can find other 1st year production 1860s via a cursory Google query, some with fluted cylinders, and here someone just happened to pay Colt for a letter...

Since OP asked about value, previous similar auctions (Rock Island, Morphy, etc.) went over $5000+ USD

Looks to me as if it’s reblued and someone was happy with the buffing wheel. $3500 plus seems safe enough for such a gun in that condition. Do you have any pics of the other side, serial numbers etc?

... shipped on April 15, 1861 to Peter Williams & Co. Richmond, VA. for Lt. J. Low, CSN, CSS Alabama...
Google " Lt. J. Low, CSN, CSS Alabama " and you'll get all kinds of hits.
This gun might be more valuable than first appeared!
Provenance means a lot with these old guns, since none of them are telling their tales. 😟

Back