• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ID for Muzzleloading shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iraqMP70

Pilgrim
Reaction score
My uncle has a muzzleloading "shotgun" that has been passed down in his family and was supposedly taken to California in 1851. The only markings on the entire gun are a small oval with the letters ELG inside. I believe that this indicates it is Belgian. I am trying to figure out it's age and also any other information that is available like it's value, maker, etc. thanks! Here are three images.
Picture002.jpg
Picture001.jpg
Picture003.jpg

Yessir - you are right. The ELG over crown stamp is the proofhouse of Liege mark from 1846 to 1924.

Sadly, though, at this time Belgium was making gazillions of simlar guns for export all over the world, and it is nothing extraordinary as far as rarity and value are concerned. However, as a family heirloom it is priceless, and if it were mine it would be as great a treasure as any Purdey or Churchill [or even Parker].

tac

Thank you sir. You know how family stories are, but the story was that his great great grandfather took the shotgun to California during the goldrush in 1851 and died there. A friend returned the shotgun to his family in Missouri, where it has been passed down from father to son since. He asked me to look into it's background since I love firearms. I don't know much about muzzleloaders though and wasn't sure if it was actually that old. So, it seems it is possible after all. I know it is smoothbore, but is it actually a shotgun as he was told or just a smoothbore musket? As you said, it is priceless to his family, but do you have a clue as to actual value in case it should be insured?

Iraq,
The way that the ram rod enters the stock and the fact that there is no underrib suggests that your shotgun "may" have been a full stock fowler at one time. There were, as stated, a gazillion of these guns produced and value obviously relates primarily to condition. In this case the gun has more value based on family tradition than dollar value.
Mark

Back