• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I was almost ready to give up on my flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakota

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a used TVM poor boy Tennessee flinter last June. Prior to that I was shooting .50 cal cappers and getting quite bored with them for some reason.

Ever since getting the TVM I have been struggling for accuracy. I was using Ballistol as patch lube and I was determined to make it work since the patches were dry and easy to handle. Accuracy was dismal to say the least. It was a struggle to hit a paper plate at 25 yards. I have been making an effort to get this gun out once a week over the winter even if only to fire 10 shots.

Today I was back at it with several different ratios of ballistol to water and having the same crappy results. I was about to storm off in disgust but then I remembered I had patch strips lubed in Stumpy's moose juice in my bag so I wiped the barrel and started using them and then a minor miracle happened I had 13 consecutive shots hit a paper plate at 50 yards. I am still not happy with the accuracy but I am a bit happier and fell a little encouraged to continue now. Here are my targets. This is a 42" barrel .45 cal. 70 grs 3F Goex pillow ticking lubed in moose juice cut at the muzzle. Groups were shot sort of off hand bracing against a post:
1st target
0211111649a_0001.jpg

2nd target:
0211111649_0001.jpg

All the patches I found looked good too and no smoldering ones like I was occasionally getting with ballistol as lube
0211111650_0001.jpg

You didn't say what ball and thickness patch your using. Have you recovered any of your spent patches to make sure they are intact? Thats the first thing I would look at.

:haha: Never mind! You posted again while I was typing...

It was .440" ball. I dont have a micrometer so I cant say for sure what thickness my patches are. They are from a bolt of pillow ticking I bought from wal mart a few years back.

All the patches I found today looked good. All they had was a dark circle where the ball was seated.

Today was the first time I cut patches at the muzzle and I think I like it better.The recovered patched looked more consistent in size and roundness than my home precut patched did. It also gives me an excuse to actually use the patch knife I bought a few years ago. Back then the only reason I bought it was because I thougt it looked cool!

I, too, would be interested in knowing what ball/patch combo you're using. 70 grains of 3f in a .45 is a fairly hot load, not TOO hot of course, but have you tried a lower powder charge?

I'd sure like to see some pics of that Tennessee if you have any, I have a TVM Tennessee in .40 and I have been very happy with it.

:hatsoff:
Spot

keep at it an DONT give up. you will find that magical combination an just plain ole shooting aint gonna hurt :thumbsup:

I think it would be a good idea to put the gun on bench and sand bags to test accuracy issues.

Not a very good picture but its the only one I have right now:
flintlock.jpg

Even though the accuracy is still not great I feel encouraged because it is exponentially better with the moose juice patch lube.

Not disputing you, however, I am wondering why the problem with the Ballistol? I've never had problems with it. Courious!!! :hmm:

I have no idea why it wouldnt ballistol wouldnt work. I tried 5:1-8:1 water/ballistol mixes and just couldnt get any repeatable accuracy I was also getting a lot of blown patches and the occasional smoldering patch. I also couldnt go more than 5 shots without wiping. I tried powder charges from 60-80 grains.

I think at this point your groups will start to tighten up with practice. Flintlock first-timers often have difficulty at first due to not being use to the pan flash. Give it time and practice from the bench during load development.

They should have been close in thickness they were from the same bolt of material.

hanshi said:
I think at this point your groups will start to tighten up with practice. Flintlock first-timers often have difficulty at first due to not being use to the pan flash. Give it time and practice from the bench during load development.
This is what I am hoping. These are "sort of off hand" 50 yard groups. (I was using a post for support) I am thinking if I continue with my once weekly range sessions these groups should tighten up. I dont know what caused me to try the moose juice before going home but I am glad I did. I guess its possible my barrel doesnt like ballistol patch lub in any mix ratio. Crisco was my go to lube for my cappers. It worked great I just didnt care for the mess. I havent tried it as a patch lube yet with my flinter. I might have to try it next time out.

Somebody told me there was this "pan flash" when you shot a flintlock. Hmmm...like you I ain't never seen it but like extraterrestrials, I've never seen one but I just KNOW they must be out there. :rotf:

70 grain of FFFG is a hot load for a 45. I would suggest you try steping down the powder charge and see if your groups improve. :hmm:

HEY, I got one just like that (the carpet)
Nice looking gun too.
Keep after it Lakota, I would agree that a better rest w/ maybe some sand bags would help until you get er to settle down. Lubes CAN effect how your patch grips rifling, every barrel is different.
Be sure and try some good ol spit.
Jon D

I was thinking the very same thing.It is futile to blame the poor accuracy on patches,lubes or anything until a good solid bench rest set-up is complete.You have to be consistant from shot to shot.

ohio ramrod said:
70 grain of FFFG is a hot load for a 45. I would suggest you try steping down the powder charge and see if your groups improve. :hmm:

I use 75 gr. FFFg Swiss in my .62. Works just fine!

Latest posts

Back