• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I thought i found a local source for Goex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeyref

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Stopped in a small local gun shop over lunch today. Been 18 years and at least 2 owners since my shadow graced the door.

Conversation was cordial...... "Been a while since i was here. Back before the original owner passed. " says I
Current owner, "well thats been going on 20 years..... Happy to have you stop in, what're you looking for?"
Me, "just wondering if you stocked real black powder. Would be nice to have a local source rather than mail order."
Him, "why yes I do! 2,3, & 4 f. Just got an order in... Price sure beats mail order with hazmat "
Me, "great to hear! sounds like I finally found a local source for it. what brand and what're you asking for it."

He says "Goex" and my spirits are high figuring that with Grafs selling Goex for $15 a Pound plus shipping and hazmat i'm golden even if he wants $20 or so a pound.

Then he says $29.95 a pound!

I thank him for his time and tell him that i'm happy to finally find someone local stocking real BP.

It really IS nice to know that I have a place that has it in stock less than 20 miles from home. But, me thinks he won't be replacing Graf's and other vendors even with the hassle of Hazmat charges and needing to arrange for someone to be home to sign... Order 3 pounds and I'm equal to the cost of buying it local..... OK, I'm good with that. want more than that and I'm foolish NOT to order online.....

Go figure....

Wow, I thought the $24.95 at my local store (about 45 minutes away) was bad! That's good in a pinch but I usually just wait until the occasional trip to Maine. I drive by a wholesaler who also sells retail Schutzen and Goex for under $16 a pound.

You guys are "spoiled".

In my piece of Canada Goex is $30 a pound and I don't want to drive 2 hours to pick it up in person, you can tack on another 19 bucks for the dangerous goods shipping.

Thankfully it's too cold to shoot for a few months of the year so I use less :)

a 2 hour drive == a lot more than $19 worth of gas.... for that, they can ship to me...

Not knocking you or Canada... Dunno what the availability of Goex is in Canada, and you probably have VAT and other government ransoms to pay, but for those of us in the US it's ~$16\pound plus shipping and hazmat. That's where I draw my perspective from... Different than the guys that are in Alaska... especially BrownBear... he has it rough when you talk real BP...

I guess it's been a while since you bought powder. Dixon's is getting $25 a pound for Goex, and somewhere around $30 for Swiss.

One of the considerations in establishing the retail price of powder is a confiscatory $150 annual tax paid for EACH powder magazine. If you own a retail store and want to order in quantities of 25 cans, and keep 2-3 brands in-stock, you better figure on having around 3-4 magazines. Each one is registered with the State, and the Store gets inspected! So you can thank the State of PA for the added expense of operations that drive the retail prices skyward. You have to sell a lot of powder to just break-even if the storage fees alone are $600 annually, not including the cost of the magazines themselves or the mandatory locks....

Dave

And here I've never gotten the Swiss because I didn't want to pay $22.50! I figured the $15.75 for Schutzen or Goex was enough. I guess I didn't realize how spoiled I was being able to stop at a wholesaler on a semi-regular basis.

I think the price is combination of alot of things.

Import duties bringing it in from the US. Super small market (can count on both hands the number of traditional shooters I personally know within 50 miles of where I live).

Wicked restrictions on storing it - tons of red tape/inspections etc.

The one domestic source I have found for Swiss is almost 60 bucks a pound shipped so next month when I pay a visit to Dixon's, even if it is 30 bucks a pound, I'm sure a couple will find their way into my trunk :)

They know that it requires a 10 pound order to come out ahead. In that case I save up and get the largest order I can afford! If Graff's ever gets in CCI caps I will buy a fair amount of the new IOld E..

Geo. T.

Stop whining! We pay $65/kg for Wano - IF we can find someone with it. Of course the price is going to go up, it never goes down. Haven't seen a can of Goex in a very long time. It would make a fair bit of sense to buy it in bulk and replace it whenever it gets below half. Seems to be the way the world is heading unfortunately.

Kapow said:
Stop whining! We pay $65/kg for Wano - IF we can find someone with it. ...

:grin:

Sorry, but that is kinda my perspective, too.
One might think powder produced locally should be cheaper than shipping it overseas... well...

1 kg of Swiss costs 65 Euro right now - that is 86$US for 2.2 pounds - so about 39$ a pound

500g of Wano (Schuetzen produced in Germany) runs 29 Euro that is 38$US for 1.1 pound so about 34$ a pound

The fun part is I am only allowed to store 1 kg at any time...
Oh well ...

Silex

Not trying to rub salt into any wounds, but I feel blessed to live 10 minutes from J&J Pyrotechnics, a Goex distributor. I just picked up a case of Old Eynsford. Their prices are currently at 13.10 per pound for Goex and 13.50 for OE, plus 6% PA tax if bought in case lots (25 lbs). Located in Moscow, PA (Northeastern PA for those not familiar with that metropolis).

The nearest dealer to me is 70 miles away, they charge $20/lb for Goex. I'm up there a few times a year anyway, so it works out for me.

smokin .50 said:
I guess it's been a while since you bought powder. Dixon's is getting $25 a pound for Goex, and somewhere around $30 for Swiss.

One of the considerations in establishing the retail price of powder is a confiscatory $150 annual tax paid for EACH powder magazine. If you own a retail store and want to order in quantities of 25 cans, and keep 2-3 brands in-stock, you better figure on having around 3-4 magazines. Each one is registered with the State, and the Store gets inspected! So you can thank the State of PA for the added expense of operations that drive the retail prices skyward. You have to sell a lot of powder to just break-even if the storage fees alone are $600 annually, not including the cost of the magazines themselves or the mandatory locks....

Dave

Dave,
I pulled up the current in stock prices on Grafs website..... SO $15.99\lb plus shipping and hazmat is accurate... You DO make a good point on the costs associated with paying the commonwealth of PA their ransom.... and just how screwed up PA can be....

At 10:50 pm on 11/30/13 I copied and posted prices for Powder.Inc at: http://www.powderinc.com/
I keep posting it but people don't seem to get it. Myself and two others in our reenacting group order 25 or 50 pounds multiple times a year whenever we have enough guys in our group to order 25 or 50 can orders. you need to fill out a form that allows you to order it and then order it. Our artillery Sgt also has a pyrotechnician license and can order more and store it if he needs to. Get ten to fifteen friends, members of your local club that are BP enthusiasts and order. Below is the Goex pricing and you can go to their site to check out the other prices and powders. The shipping and hazmat INCLUDED is a nice add in.

Product: Goex Powders
F 1 pound cans
(Musket)

FF 1 pound cans
(Rifle)

FFF 1 pound cans
(Pistol)

FFFF 1 pound cans
(Primer Only)

5 lb. lot: $23.50 per lb.
10 lb. lot: $18.30 per lb.
25 or 50 lb. lot: $14.90 per lb.
Price includes shipping and hazmat fee

Last edited by a moderator:
Hockeyref Dave said:
current in stock prices[/i] on Grafs website..... SO $15.99\lb plus shipping and hazmat is accurate... You DO make a good point on the costs associated with paying the commonwealth of PA their ransom.... and just how screwed up PA can be....
Grafs price includes shipping, but not the hazmat. In general it doesn't seem to make much difference in price if ordering 10 lbs or less whether you order it from them or Powder Inc.
When you start going over 10 lbs the price advantage goes to Powder Inc.
When ordering odd lots say 11 or 12 lbs of powder, then the advantage goes to Grafs because they will ship in any quantity you want up to 50 lbs, and generally they give a price discount on case lots.

Latest posts

Back