• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I think I just bought a GRRW Leman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCT

32 Cal
Reaction score
B4F38DED-A179-4826-98B9-E445EB0B612C.jpeg

I think this is a GRRW Leman…my first muzzleloader. Waiting for it’s arrival.

It has the right architecture and component parts to be a GRRW Leman Trade Rifle. I can't make out the markings on the barrel. Looks like it could be serial no. 11?7. Caliber is .54, but can't make out enough to tell if that other mark is a makers mark or not, much less tell whose it is. If it is a factory rifle it should have "GRRW" and "ROOSEVELT, UTAH" stamped on the barrel.

Hopefully you can post some more pictures when you get your hands on it.

It’s marked GRRW Roosevelt, Utah about 1.5” in front of the rear sight. “Mc” is the maker…unfortunately FedEx cracked the stock.

Attachments

• 0419EFF9-14C2-4BF7-A5A0-D5634B0EDA26.jpeg
    0419EFF9-14C2-4BF7-A5A0-D5634B0EDA26.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 4BED55C3-4AED-4FA1-A313-970653B3551C.jpeg
    4BED55C3-4AED-4FA1-A313-970653B3551C.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 5A2B916B-42A1-4DBB-B4C3-5EB83B387D2A.jpeg
    5A2B916B-42A1-4DBB-B4C3-5EB83B387D2A.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 90
Looks like it was shipped on half cock and the hammer took a sideways blow. The hammer moves side to side some…is that normal? Or did something get messed up in the lock?

The seller offered a full refund or they will pay for repairs…any thoughts?

The seller offered a full refund or they will pay for repairs…any thoughts?

Good. Take them up on their offer. More than likely it was broke because of the the way it was packed. Was the box heavily damaged? If not, the person that packed the rifle was at fault.

I can only tell so much from pictures, but that would not be an easy break to repair.

I had a rifle that the toe was broken during shipment because the shipper didn't fully secure it in the box. I had Jack Brooks repair it which cost $200. The seller paid for it plus discounted the final price of the rifle, i.e. gave me a small refund. A professional like Broods would probably charge a lot more than $200 to repair that break.

Unless you have access to a professional muzzleloader gun restorer, probably best to return the rifle to the seller and get a full refund.

You mentioned the hammer was loose. It shouldn't be. It could probably be fixed, but just one more reason to return the rifle for refund.

I've purchase a number of longarms from several big name auction companies. They know how to pack and ship to minimize potential damage during shipment.

Here are some examples.

In this case, there was three layers of cardboard--a box in a box in a box. At a minimum, it should be two layers of cardboard--a box in a box. For real expensive long guns, a wood crate or aluminum case is best.
IMG_5138.JPG

The guns are wrapped in bubble-pack with extra wraps at the muzzle, around the forearm, around the lock, and at the butt.
IMG_4803_crop.jpg

IMG_4809_crop.jpg

They are placed in the inner box with a generous amount of foam peanuts that ensure that the rifle cannot move in any direction inside the box.
IMG_5139.JPG

Due to the weight of the barrel, if the rifle can move around in the box the stock is subject to being broken in the lock and/or wrist area.

Thank you so much for your reply. It confirmed how I was feeling in the first place. I will return for a full refund. Too bad…it looks like it was just a wall hanger and never shot.

If you cannot repair yourself, consider having a gun shop give you an estimate. Especially since they offered to pay for the repair.

If you return it, it's gone

I know…I’ve been mulling it over all day.

Me too…the box had minor damage…but nothing that would make you think it was broken. The rifle was wrapped in heavy wax paper then wrapped in bubble wrap and packed with peanuts. The issue was the hammer sticking up and taking an impact. Good lesson in protecting the hammer/lock area in shipment

I always remove the lock ,wrap it seperately & tape it to the outside of the bubble wrapped barrel so it wont get lost. Packs up easier & minimises the risk of damage

I just packed a white mountain carbine for shipping last night. Barrel off and bubble wrapped separate. Lock off and bubble wrapped separate, stock bubble wrapped separate. I duct taped things in the box to keep them from shifting as I didn't have packing peanuts. Exposed hammers sliding around tend to poke holes and cause problems. In the end, some people at Fed Ex, USPS and even UPS can destroy things just by the way they handle them, as if they're throwing around a chunk of firewood. Just a matter of the person handling it and if they give a damn.

Back