• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I love smoke

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifleshooter2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is our King Howitzer making a little smoke

cannonsmoke.jpg

Andy
Legion Ville Historical Society www.legionville.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Guilford Courhouse National Military Park: Greensboro, NC -- July 4, 2001

Canon1.jpg

Canon2.jpg

The camera was old. The pics are a bit grainy and underexposed because the muzzle flash fooled the camera's meter. These are the best I was able to get out of several shots. Not TOO bad...

BTW: If that's you in the picture, feel free to take. I promised to share when I took them but I forget if I ever got hold of you guys after that...

Not too bad indeed!! I know how hard it is to capture the exact moment of ignition; those photos are great!

There's a neat little secret to getting those shots:

Place your finger on the shutter button with j-u-s-t--e-n-o-u-g-h pressure to hold it at the threshold of releasing but DON'T try to time the shot. Just wait till the Gun Captain lowers the slow match to the touch hole. Until then, concentrate on focus and framing, etc.

When the gun goes off, the shock wave from the explosion will make you flinch. Your reflexes will cause you to set off the shutter at the right moment.

If you can put the camera on a tripod or at least a steady surface like a rock or a tree stump, it will help immensely. Those two pictures I took were shot with the camera resting on the top of a wooden fence post.

If you try to time the shot you will not get very many good pictures, if you get any at all because the very same reflex action that you "should" be using to trip the shutter for you will cause you to flinch and spoil the shot.

It is virtually impossible for any but the most "hard boiled" cannon crew to keep from flinching.
And that's only because they're probably deaf as a stump! ;)

You're quite welcome! :)

It was one of the guys on that crew who told me that trick.

I was sitting there, fussing with the camera for 3 or 4 tries, missing every one of them and silently cussing to myself in the process.

The guy came over and asked me if I got any good ones. I showed him what I got and expressed my disappointment. That's when he explained it to me.

I figured I'd explain it to you guys because the more pictures of cannons "In flagrante kaboom" we can get, the better. Right? :)

Back