• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I kinda accidentally "aged" my Pietta 1851 Colt. Long, w/big pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's the "before" shot of my Pietta 1851 pattern Colt revolver. (click pics for bigger versions)

I was using white vinegar to remove the bluing from the furniture of my Lyman GPR, and it was working GREAT ”“”“ slowly dissolving the bluing over a few hours, and leaving a nice gray finish that I was able to give a nice case-hardened look to using a torch and some cold blue. More pics of that later.

Anyway, I spilled some of my 50/50 mix of water and vinegar on the bench and my roll of blue shop towels instantly soaked it up from the end of the roll. So much for that roll ”“”“ but I had a light bulb moment. I'd been wanting to lightly "age" my 1851 Colt Pietta -- just take the finish off a little of the high/sharp edges, maybe some pitting, to make it look more like a gun someone carried for a few years. The gun was cheap, and has been a "gunsmith practice" gun for me anyway, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

So i took the wet towels, wrung most of the vinegar/water mixture out of them, and wrapped the revolver in them. I figured that because the solution was weak and because the paper was barely moist and was only touching the high spots of the gun, that it would just barely thin the bluing.

Well, I forgot about it and went to work for an 8-hour shift. :shocked2: :nono:

Came home and peeled the shop towels off and almost had a heart attack! Not only was ALL the bluing GONE ”“”“ I mean like a stainless steel Ruger or something ”“”“ there was some serious etching in the metal, to include a nice fish-scale pattern left by the texture of the shop towels. :barf:

Well, I got over it and began cleaning it up using warm running water and steel wool. With some elbow grease I was able to polish off the scale pattern and leave some of the pitting and etching. I took my propane torch and heated the parts up and while hot spread some Birchwood Casey super blue on them with a q-tip. This produced a splotchy black finish which looked awful. After letting them cool a bit, I ran them under cold water again, and then buffed them out with steel wool which blended the colors and left some of the high spots silver. All of the sudden, it started looking pretty good!

I took the opportunity to age the stocks too. I used a chemical stripper to remove the factory varnish. Then after they dried I tossed them around my workbench for a minute to give them a few small dings and dents. Then I dyed it using first one application of "red mahogany" and one of "brown walnut" from Behlen's Solar-Lux alcohol wood dyes, followed by a few coats of Behr's #600 Tung Oil finish. After that dried I hit the whole thing with a thick coat of flat black Rustoleum paint (I was scared, trust me). After that dried, I scrubbed it off with steel wool. (Thanks Mike Brooks! :wink: ) A couple more coats of oil finish, and it was ready to be put back together.

It'll never be mistaken for an original but I like the way it looks now. (Note: I know the nipples are not in these pictures. This is a family site after all.)

Nice work.

It's nice to see that you made the best out of the accident.

old and cruddy was the idea. :v

Thanks guys -- I know some people aren't into the whole "aging" of repro firearms, but being from the school of collectible military rifles, "used but not abused" is always more aesthetically pleasing to me than "like new."

One only has to look at some WWII bolt action rifles to understand that only a year or so of hard and/or daily use will put more wear on a firearm than most of us will in a lifetime of ownership.

I like "old and cruddy." I did the same thing to an 1860 Army and a Rossi Puma 92 rifle. I'm gonna do it to my "51" Navy, my "58" Remmy and my 1860 Steel Framed Henry too! By the time they'll be for sale, I won't care what they bring. I've taken the 1860 to gun shows for fun and actually had gun dealers follow me down an aisle to see if I was an idiot trying to sell my great...great grandpappy's civil war pistol. One even got angry!

:blah:

Dan

I actually really like it!

Plus, now you won't have to worry about dings and scratches. The first ding on your car is always the hardest, but in your case it looks great :grin: .

Back