• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I just couldn't help myself today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CVA pictured was a rip off...The bore was trashed even though the bore was advertised as like new and the seller assured me it was like new....rusty, pitted and an absolute mess. The pics showed the bore at muzzle, which had been worked on obviously. I got a refund on that gun and sent it back.

The other CVA I bought has a decent bore...not great, but useable. It will make a great loaner gun.

The T/C white mountain carbine was in great condition with a spot or two that polished out with steel wool on a jag

It's not so much about a sale tax as it is dishonest sellers. Remember this from Chorizo, the initiator of the post, others chimed in too about getting burned. Take a lude dude.

P.S. GB is Gunbroker, if you're really into firearms you might find it interesting.

Last edited:
A couple years ago I bought a CVA Mountain Stalker rifle from a seller claiming the barrel was in good condition.
As it turns out, that was less than accurate. Some rust and pitting. The nipple was practically welded in place.
I spent about 8 hours total cleaning up the barrel and finally got it back in reasonably good shape.
Even with the bit of pitting, the gun shoots pretty darn good.
I ended contacting the seller and told him about what I had to do with the barrel.
Long story short, he offered to send me some money for my troubles, which I accepted.
Not everyone is a ripoff.

A couple years ago I bought a CVA Mountain Stalker rifle from a seller claiming the barrel was in good condition.
As it turns out, that was less than accurate. Some rust and pitting. The nipple was practically welded in place.
I spent about 8 hours total cleaning up the barrel and finally got it back in reasonably good shape.
Even with the bit of pitting, the gun shoots pretty darn good.
I ended contacting the seller and told him about what I had to do with the barrel.
Long story short, he offered to send me some money for my troubles, which I accepted.
Not everyone is a ripoff.
I offered that route to him, he wouldn't take it. I had to send the gun back on my dime, so I took a loss.

People make mistakes, I get that. It's when they intentionally do it or refuse to own their mistake that chaps my hide.

I been lucky on that note lately. I recently bought a 4.5 inch Navy .36 from a member and it arrived looking much better than the posted pics. The guy was selling his Dads pistols and couldn't have know the nipples would not fire (4-5 anyway). Likely a manure load of dry firing but I will replace and go from there. A good deal. Also just rec'd my CV Mnt pistol from a member, again looks as good or better than the pics. He disclosed a rough loading barrel which I have yet to look into but the trigger pull is about perfect after he went through it. And with a 000067 serial Number I am well pleased (I have often told the story of my old one back in 1978 that would hit a quarter every dang time at 25 yds). Hoot if this one is half that accurate! Yep I been lucky myself

Last edited:
I’m a Pyrodex burner. Please explain what you getting at!
Walk
The fouling left from firing a load or many loads of Pyrodex is not as apparent as the sooty fouling from shooting black powder. However, the fouling from Pyrodex is far more aggressive than black powder fouling. All too often novice users thinking that the lack of visible fouling means that the firearm doesn't need to be cleaned. Rust forms and the barrel is severely pitted. These rifles end up on pawnbrokers shelves looking good, but the barrel is a pipe of rust. Those users that understand that the Pyrodex fouling is so aggressive and properly clean their guns have little issue with long term corrosion problems.

The fouling left from firing a load or many loads of Pyrodex is not as apparent as the sooty fouling from shooting black powder. However, the fouling from Pyrodex is far more aggressive than black powder fouling. All too often novice users thinking that the lack of visible fouling means that the firearm doesn't need to be cleaned. Rust forms and the barrel is severely pitted. These rifles end up on pawnbrokers shelves looking good, but the barrel is a pipe of rust. Those users that understand that the Pyrodex fouling is so aggressive and properly clean their guns have little issue with long term corrosion problems.
Ahh, I think I understand. Pyro shooters are too dumb to know how to maintain their gun. Thanks for the clarity oh wise ones.
Walk

Many Pyrodex shooters do know how to maintain their gun and don't have rusting issues. Pyrodex has been promoted as a powder that doesn't deposit fouling on the barrel to require the wiping between shots. This led many to believe that there was no corrosive fouling that required a lot of cleaning. I do feel that many novice shooters were misled on the maintenance of their rifle. It's a misapplication of critical thinking that ruined the bores of a lot of rifles.

Yes, couldn’t agree more. Those that don’t understand owning a muzzleloader requires more cleaning, correct cleaning, correct powders, correct projectiles, etc. are not true muzzleloaders. But to just make a broad statement such as was made really irks me. Does every Southern man have relations with his sister? Is missing most of his teeth? Looks like he should be an extra on Deliverance? Of course not! Yet you still hear it from those who’s nose is higher than their sloped foreheads.
For the record, don’t make a statement of which you can’t prove. After all, who are you trying to impress?
Rant over now. Sorry folks.
Walk

I have bought a half dozen or so guns from members of this board and have always been satisfied with the purchase. Good people here. Always gave a good description of what they were selling.
As far as rust and bad bores goes, shoot whatever propellant you like but clean afterwards. Not cleaning after black powder will ruin a barrel just as readily as not cleaning after pyrodex or whatever. Cleaning is part of the muzzle loader process. The war between BP and pyrodex shooters is just something that shouldn't be. Both go bang and make the ball fly. Peace to both.

I have bought a half dozen or so guns from members of this board and have always been satisfied with the purchase. Good people here. Always gave a good description of what they were selling.
As far as rust and bad bores goes, shoot whatever propellant you like but clean afterwards. Not cleaning after black powder will ruin a barrel just as readily as not cleaning after pyrodex or whatever. Cleaning is part of the muzzle loader process. The war between BP and pyrodex shooters is just something that shouldn't be. Both go bang and make the ball fly. Peace to both.
I'd surely shoot it if I needed to. A backup is always nice to have.

Back