• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have this barrel.🤔

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It was given to me. Part of an old CVA kit. It's 44 caliber, about 32ish inches, and has Jukar engraved on it as well as a serial number. I was wondering if this could be used for say 3 pistol barrels? Thanks for your comments in advance.

It was given to me. Part of an old CVA kit. It's 44 caliber, about 32ish inches, and has Jukar engraved on it as well as a serial number. I was wondering if this could be used for say 3 pistol barrels? Thanks for your comments in advance.
Why not build a rifle with it?

That's a great question. Thought about that too. I would still want to re breech it for a screw in plug and a flintlock. Just tossing around ideas and was wondering if anyone had converted a rifle barrel into pistol barrels.
Like @waarp8nt said, finding the the right breech plugs would be a stumbling block, but it’s doable with the right parts.

Before you go too far, what is the bore condition? Have you run a borescope down it? A rough bore isn’t necessarily a show stopper, just means it’s a different show.
It's perfect, never was built. Brand new condition. Original box with all the parts except the stock.

It's perfect, never was built. Brand new condition. Original box with all the parts except the stock.
Ok, dealer’s choice. You have an unused breeched rifle barrel. You can use as set up (all the CVAs I have seen had chambered breeches), re-breech for a rifle, or cut into as many pistol or short barreled guns as practical. Without knowing what you want to do, I would lean towards a long rifle of some sort, as what you have is likely a shallow groove button rifled 1-66 barrel, not something I would think is idea for pistols. You asked for comments, and that is my comment/opinion. Others will chime in.

Ok, dealer’s choice. You have an unused breeched rifle barrel. You can use as set up (all the CVAs I have seen had chambered breeches), re-breech for a rifle, or cut into as many pistol or short barreled guns as practical. Without knowing what you want to do, I would lean towards a long rifle of some sort, as what you have is likely a shallow groove button rifled 1-66 barrel, not something I would think is idea for pistols. You asked for comments, and that is my comment/opinion. Others will chime in.
You make a good point. Most of the pistol barrels I've seen are 1-20. I appreciate your comments.

I have made pistols from cut off rifle barrels. Drilling and tapping breeches can be done by hand, as long as you are careful and take your time (the old smiths didn't have milling machines or lathes and they accomplished it...). Accuracy is not ideal due to rifling twist, but far better than a smoothbore.

I have made pistols from cut off rifle barrels. Drilling and tapping breeches can be done by hand, as long as you are careful and take your time (the old smiths didn't have milling machines or lathes and they accomplished it...). Accuracy is not ideal due to rifling twist, but far better than a smoothbore.
Very interesting, I figured somebody had done it. Thanks

Ok........here's another opinion for the can. Since I've played with cobbled up pistols before , I would make one cobbled up rifle out of it. I have a Jukar barrel in my shop just now from a sort of long rifle that looks like it was perhaps never cleaned by the owner's son that has ADD , or one of those brain sicknesses. I owe the owner a favor , and am in process of penetrating oil soaking , and wire brush/steel wooling the rifling. I'm astounded that the bore/rifling is actually cleaning up. Musta caught it before pitting occoured. So , upon looking at this wreck , your's would make a fine little gun with a modern flint lock on it...........my opinion

It's not really clear here but if the rifle is breeched CVA style you might be able to pull the drum and install a vent. If all you are missing is the stock you can probably get a replacement. I suspect it is a CVA Kentucky model. If you put up a picture of the rest of the parts it could be better determined.

As far as pistol barrels go, I wouldn't worry about twist rate. It'll shoot as well or better than a smoothie. If you aren't comfortable drilling and tapping for breech plugs you can probably have it done.

Or you could just sell it on the classifieds and extricate yourself from the mental turmoil. 🤣

Ok........here's another opinion for the can. Since I've played with cobbled up pistols before , I would make one cobbled up rifle out of it. I have a Jukar barrel in my shop just now from a sort of long rifle that looks like it was perhaps never cleaned by the owner's son that has ADD , or one of those brain sicknesses. I owe the owner a favor , and am in process of penetrating oil soaking , and wire brush/steel wooling the rifling. I'm astounded that the bore/rifling is actually cleaning up. Musta caught it before pitting occoured. So , upon looking at this wreck , your's would make a fine little gun with a modern flint lock on it...........my opinion
I agree. A master gunsmith and forum member called me and offered up his mill and knowledge to do just that.

Back