• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have so much to learn!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought my first flintlock and I realize I have a lot to learn!

It was actually refreshing to buy a gun and have to read how to use it! I have owned and shot so many guns I honestly believe I could pick up any gun in the world and be ready to shoot it in under a minute .....except a flintlock:dunno:

I bought the Traditions Pa. Pellet and while I think that gun is a mess, I think it will suffice until I know more. I would really like as much advice as I can get about increasing the odds of ignition. I took it out and shot it a handful of times just to see what it was going to do. I had instant ignition, I had delayed ignition, I had no ignition.

After taking the gun apart and studying everything on it, I think I understand why I had the "no ignition" fires. I am going to use Pyrodex pellets for simplicity and the fact that there is a touch hole that goes sideways for 1/2 inch, makes a 90 degree turn, and goes another full inch before it reaches the pellets, I am amazed it ever fired.

From now on I will put a dose of FFFF in the barrel using my pan primer prior to inserting the pellets and bullet.

I also expect that there are tricks I will need to learn about positioning of the flint, the proper amount of pan powder, how much to tickle into the touch hole, etc., etc., etc.

I expect to hunt with it this weekend so any basic advice would be appreciated.

While you have a "flintlock" your rifle was designed to work a bit differently than a regular flintlock. The company was hoping to make a flinter that would work with "pellets" instead of loose powder and allow people who need to hunt with flintlocks have an edge over Traditional flintlock rifles.It is sort of an "INLINE" flintlock rifle. Much of the advice we would give would not work with this particular rifle. The pellets have one end with a small black powder charge stuck to it. Be sure that end is facing towards the rear of the rifle. I personally would opt for a normal flintlock as these rifles are not highly thought of.

Can you tell me what is meant by a patent breech?
It is the open area in a breech plug that is smaller in diameter than the bore of the rifle. Sometimes it is called a chambered breech because it is a sub caliber chamber in the breech plug that threads into the rifled barrel. The flash channel is drilled into the chambered breech. Because the chambered breech is smaller in diameter, fouling can collect in the chambered breech and block the flash channel.

I suspect there is a good bit of "special interest possessiveness" in flintlocking like there is with any special interest hobby. The concept of putting pyrodex in a flintlock is unthinkable to the traditionalists.
laying golf at a public golf gourse is unthinkable to many within the country club community.

Driving a Chevy truck is unthinkable to a Ford owner.
One has to realize why it is unthinkable........... Because it don't get the job done!
Again, welcome to the joys of flintlock shooting!
Larry

Back