• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I got to shoot the new rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I post that on my first time to shoot the new gun with no load development and it not even being sighted in that I was not going to win competitions or set new world records. I put out an honest 2" group with a new gun and a hunting load, and you start in by saying I'm all wrong. And you have deemed that unless I'm at 1.5" I can't compete or set new world records. Really? I'm .50" out of the world class status with a rifle that had 20 rounds through it with no load development. 🤣
Where did you get the idea that I was after the new world record? Where did you get the idea I was going to shoot in competitions?
Do you honestly think a guy shooting off his tailgate is after a world record? 🤣
You care to tell us about the world records you hold in muzzleloader competitions?
You are a guy from where ever giving advice on how to become a successful long range competitor to a guy shooting a rifle off the tailgate of his truck. 🤣🤣
You are a guy behind a computer 🖥 that is giving advise on how to set a new world record.🤪
You have to see from my side that you are coming off as 🦬 💩

Last edited:
Why get so steamed when some one sees something that they know is not as good as it could be and is willing to give you some tips to improve your load ?
I'm telling you what I know from some experience and from those who do shoot paper patch very well some things that can help you. If you choose not to know than that is perfectly fine as well. Personally I always am open to ideas that are better than the ones I'm currently using if they prove to be true after I've tested them. I then am thankful to the folks that took the time to share them with me.

FWIW I believe that Ron has done an excellent job in sharing his personal and logical approach to setting up his new gun and for the very first shots out that barrel I find it to be quite good. Sharing is what this forum is all about and the information that I have found here has helped me tremendously. Ron has every right to be proud of both his present and past accomplishments HOWEVER I believe it’s a mistake to be offended by someone offering some advice. That being said there are ways to offer advice that offend and it was not necessarily the intention. I don’t post accomplishments because I’m still playing catch-up with most of the highly qualified individuals such as Ron, Lewis and a number of others but I do APPRECIATE their efforts to our passion and can only hope that they will continue to share. Stay safe.

M. De Land

Sometimes I think that most people simply dont understand PP bullets. There is no doubt that they can and do shoot just as good or better then a GG. I have shot GG for years, and a few years ago started playing with PP. I have a buddy that is an accomplished PP shooter and it was very helpful having his assistance.

I have tried I think 5 different papers and they all perform differently, some good and some not so good. Just like any load development you need to see what combinations of paper, size, bullet, powder and wads that your rifle likes.

There is no doubt that GG bullets can and do perform and there is also no doubt that PP can and do perform just as well. Just a matter of working up a proper load that the rifle likes for either bullet.

Fleener

Why get so steamed when some one sees something that they know is not as good as it could be and is willing to give you some tips to improve your load ?
I'm telling you what I know from some experience and from those who do shoot paper patch very well some things that can help you. If you choose not to know than that is perfectly fine as well. Personally I always am open to ideas that are better than the ones I'm currently using if they prove to be true after I've tested them. I then am thankful to the folks that took the time to share them with me.

I guess if someone had more experience than I do I would listen. But I also need proof that person indeed has more experience. You are saying you have "some" experience.

You are also saying that the load that has proven its self time and time again for years, by many people is completely wrong. And the guy saying it has "some " experience. 🤣

I'm open to ideas, but I'm not going to take advice from a man in the homeless shelter on how to do my taxes without some credentials.

When I give someone advice I give credentials and proof of how I came to think the advice I gave was correct.
You have not provided that proof. I'm not mad I just personally have no proof from you that what your saying is true with my rifles rate of twist, powder and bullet combination.

If you have shot a green mountain LRH stainless barreled rifle I would love to hear if there is a better target bullet for my stainless barrel.
But when moulds cost upwards of hundreds of dollars I need some credentials.

I personally have seen bullets that shot great in a green mountain LRH blued barrel not shoot well at all in the stainless barrel.
Again not mad I just need your proof that you have tested this with a set up like mine.

Fair enough, I'm relating tips I have both used but more importantly have gotten from folks that are competitively successful with PP bullets. Just as when hunters shooting jacket bullet gain from what bench rest people do so can muzzle loading shooters gain from the same.
I know their are some differences between pp bullets shot from cartridges as opposed to muzzle loaders but would say that PP bullet from cartridges actually have more challenge to overcome than when loaded through the muzzle.
I was relating some of the techniques that cause their success at Creedmoor ranges and believe you could benefit from trying them. It looked to me like the bullet through your targets were tipping a bit but perhaps it's the angle of the photo .
I think the 30 twist is barely stabilizing the bullet pictured but perhaps I have it wrong. Shooting farther out on new cardboard will tell you if they are tipping, If they are tipping then the twist is probably to slow.
Use what you can and pitch the rest after testing the ideas don't get steamed because some one wants to help you get more knowledge of what works or doesn't work. Both are valuable to know.

Use what you can and pitch the rest after testing the ideas don't get steamed because some one wants to help you get more knowledge of what works or doesn't work. Both are valuable to know.

How about this don't bother opening threads that I start. I don't want your 3rd party information that you have no idea about.
I don't need to know your 4th party gunsmith tips, or anything else you might want to pass along.
I don't think you know what side of your house is the sunny side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back