• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I bought my first cap and ball revolver today :).

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now I need some advice. It was imported by Traditions made in Italy and is a brass framed New Army. A .44cal pistol which looks like it will be very fun to shoot.

I would like some advice from people that have shot this gun and know it's quirks. It looks pretty straight forward to me but do I need to know of any cautions that may be missed?

Welcome to the wonderful world of cap and ball revolvers. I have a similar gun and have enjoyed shooting it. First bit of advise is to read the manual if it came with a manual. If there is a manual provided by Traditions then it should be detailed enough to answer most if not all your questions. Next go to the range after you have gathered all the components needed to shoot and play with loads to find the one that does what you want. It being a brass frame gun you probably want to avoid full power powder charges. Brass is softer than steal and will stretch over time. I have found that the Remingtons shed spent caps nicely and I rarely if ever get them caught up in the frame. Remember to clean them religiously after a shooting session or you will end up with an expesive pile of rust. Good luck and happy shooting!

Don

Welcome aboard,
I have the same pistol as you. Definitly shoot light loads I think traditions says 30 grain BP max but I keep mine at about 24 grains. Accuracy is good. You need to make sure you don't leave any air space between the powder and the ball you can cause over pressure problems that way.

With the light load I either use enough wonder wads or cream of wheat to fill up the space and bring the ball closer to the forcing cone. My revolver seems to group better with the ball as far to the front as possible with out hanging up the action.

Go have fun and make lotsa smoke,
Mike C

I find with my revolvers that the barrels will lead up after several shots, some faster than others. You know this has happened when your groups start to open up, sometimes dramatically. The hotter the load, the more this is a problem. To prevent this, about every ten shots, I brush the barrel w/ a brass brush and a couple of drops of Butch's Bore Shine or Ballistol on it, followed by a patch. This procedure removes the lead fouling, or at least most of it and keeps your accuracy consistent.

One of the most accurate cap-n-ball revolvers I've ever owned is just like yours. I keep my load at roughly 22gr of FFFg or Pyrodex P and have not seen any indications of "loosening up" due to "stretching" the brass frame.

I use corn meal for a filler (seems to compress better so it's not as fussy). I generally omit the lubed wads and use "generic Crisco shortening" to seal the chambers over the balls. I prefer to make my own "stuff", so I make wads from "starched felt". I use Argo gloss laundry starch. I take an old .45 Long Colt case with the mouth sharpened for a wad punch, and lube the wads with "bore butter". Remember to keep your face, you non-shooting hand, and bystanders away from the sides or front of the cylinder, as there is a significant chance of burning your self or getting a shower of sparks in the face . Shoot the gun at night (if you have a place where it's legal and safe to do so) and you'll be amazed at all the fire.

Make sure to use good fitting percussion caps. You shouldn't have to force them onto the nipples, nor should they need "pinched" to stay on. #11 caps will probably be the most common you can find, but your gun may need a #10 or #12. Various brands of caps also vary in size and potentcy, you may have to try a couple different kinds out to see which works best for you. Use the tightest fitting ball that you can still load without getting frustrated. .454 diameter is usually the right size for these guns. Always use either a lubed wad under the ball, or some type of grease over the ball. The lube helps keep the leading and the fouling down in the bore, and is supposed to help prevent chain fires.

There's a big thread going on about chain fires right now, as to what really causes them... but if you follow the above procedures and your common sense--a chain fire is a very rare event and you shouldn't worry about it too much.

Just use a little special care when loading, keep it clean enough to eat off of, don't try to make a "magnum" out of it, and it will serve you well for many years. Don't worry about the brass oxidizing and turning dark, that just makes it look better--gives it "character"... but, you can polish it up everytime after you shoot, if you like it shiny.

As far as accessories, a powder flask is almost a must have, you need a good powder measure, (never load directly from a flask!). An old .38 Special case holds roughly 24gr of FFFg powder, so you can put a little handle on it and trim the case mouth so there are no rough edges. A nipple wrench is a must, and it doesn't hurt to have a spare set of nipples either. Once a nipple starts to erode and the flash hole gets larger, the efficiency goes down and things could get erratic. A capper is VERY handy (if you don't have "nimble fingers"), 'cause once you start shooting your dirty hands can contaminate a cap easier. There are some "cap-n-ball shooter kits" that contain most of the needed items and some that are rarely used... and of course you'll need a cleaning kit too.

Cleanup is easily done with HOT soapy water, a rod and brush, jag and patches, and a toothbrush. Make sure to get the gun good and dry afterwards. Dry it in the oven or use a hand held hair dryer. Occasionally you'll want to break it down (disassemble) completely to get all the gunk out of the inside works. After the cleanings, I oil the gun up VERY well and keep it in a plastic storage bag. Check for rust for the next couple of days, 'cause sometimes you miss a spot when cleaning.

If you are fortunate like I was, the sights were regulated dead on at 25 yds. Generally most cap-n-ball revolvers shoot extremely high at close range, the Colt style guns seem to be worse in that respect, but it can happen with any of them. If fact, my gun shoots so well, that I can cut a line across a 2x6 board at 25yds and use the gun like a saw to cut the board in half. You may need a taller front sight if you can't abide holding low on the target, but the Remington sights are so much easier to see than the Colts.

The accuracy of these is MUCH better than most people would think, and the "paper ballistics" don't give you a real picture of the actual power of this gun. They are roughly the same as a lighter load in a .45 Long Colt or maybe like a .44 Special load--except those soft lead balls do huge amounts of damage to stuff. Shoot some homemade blocks about 4-6" long made from 2 x 4's and you'll see what I'm talking about. Shoot a water filled milk jug if you want another "reactive target", or another of my favourites--shoot into a catalog that's been soaked in water and see how much that ball expands.

Hope I haven't overwhelmed you with all this data. There are some books and kinda "small-ish" manuals on cap-n-ball guns. CVA produced a nice one by Phil Spangenberger... but it might be difficult to find. You might try at a gun show to find appropriate reading materials and information. You'll probably have more questions once you get started, but this is a good place to get some help.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Latest posts

Back