• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I bought a rifle kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BadDart

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I have it ordered anyway, hoping it'll be here in about a month. I posted late in December about wanting to build a 25 yard offhand rifle. After looking at a lot of kits I decided on a Virginia rifle kit from Jedediah Starr, the problem was they had no barrels, but the kit could be had without the barrel. So, I started searching for a good barrel, that led me to Stonewall Creek Outfitters. They only had three .40's, all Rice, two 13/16" and one 7/8", I ordered the 7/8" and a breech plug.

After pondering the stock, I finally decided on a #3 curly maple. I called Jedediah Starr 8-10 times Tuesday and got a recording every time. A Google search revealed that the kits they sell came from Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply. A phone call to them Wednesday morning and the deed was done, now I wait. Left hand by the way.

That sounds like it's going to be quite the rifle.
Please post pics when it comes in.
What made you go for the 7/8" over the 13/16"?
Cheers,
dgfd

Sounds like you're going to end up with a sweet rifle! Post some in progress pics.

Man, that 42" barrel being straight like that, at .40 caliber....

I have a .36 rifle, of similar dimensions, straight barrel...when you're aiming, that front sight just keeps sinking. It is work to hold it up, and you've got to time your trigger pull to have it all squeezed out and trip it the instant you get the front sight back up on on target before it falls again. It is not a good offhand gun at all, the only reason i do well with it is because im a good offhand shooter...but that gun is no good for offhand shooting. Very disappointing and unpleasurable. The balance point is about a foot past my palm when i bend my elbow into the support position for rock solid form. (A heavy barrel like that works good on a short gun and stabalizes your shake, but a heavy barrel on a long rifle mainly turns the gun into a seasaw because the balance point is so far forward).

A .40 isn't much bigger than a .36. About the same amount of steel is taken out of the barrel to drill it. You sure you don't want to upgrade to a swamped barrel before its too late? I think 42" of steel up front will give you all the weight you need on a swamped barrel.

I don't like hunting with muzzle heavy rifles but they do evermore shine on the target range. You have to shoot in a few seconds but it seems that muzzle locks on and holds like a rock.

Muzzle heavy is great until you get to the point where you have to fight the weight to get on target. I know. I built a 1"x38" 45 in 1980. The intent was to use it for a chunk gun. Fast forward to last year and I could hardly keep on target offhand due to the excess muzzle weight. Out came the sawsall and off went 8" of barrel. I converted it to percussion at the same time. Now I have a very nice handling offhand rifle that has become my favorite. My advise to the OP is to get the project rifle together to the point where it's shootable and just see how it feels. He can duct tape the barrel on to hold it together. If it's too heavy he can cut some off the end until it feels right. It's not too hard to square up the muzzle with an accurate square and a file and do the crown with sandpaper.

Congrats on your rifle order, it sounds like it will work out nicely! As I Get older I have to do exercises to keep muscle mass up and it helps a lot with a muzzle heavy rifle or a bow. Where there is a will there is a way!

Thanks, guys.

The sole purpose of this rifle will be 25 yard off hand matches. If it's too muzzle heavy I'll start cutting it back until it holds well.

I've been draw filing the barrel to remove the cnc milling marks, there are three flats left, then it'll be time to fit the breech plug. The one I have shows tiny rust pits so I may order another one.

Justin

Interesting . I just got in a Lyman Great Plains 54 cal cap lock kit. Just dumb luck stumbled across it. The barrel was great . Don;t have to do anything but blue it. My first kit At 77. Will see.

Original long rifles were barrel lengths from 38" to 46 " . A .40 cal. 42" barrel weighs in @ 6 lb. . A 38 " X .40 barrel , weighs 5.46 lb. . One inch of a 7/8 " barrel at .40 cal. is 2.3 oz. per inch. This info. is courtesy Dixie G.W. 2020 catalog Pg.. #556 Ya can estimate the wt. , of the barrel before cutting.

Sounds like your research paid off. It should be a nice rifle. I have Penatonica's catalog and have looked at their kits at Friendship. They look pretty good. I hope you'll post your build so we can see how it goes.

Interesting . I just got in a Lyman Great Plains 54 cal cap lock kit. Just dumb luck stumbled across it. The barrel was great . Don;t have to do anything but blue it. My first kit At 77. Will see.

I built a 50 cal Lyman GPR back in the late 80's and killed a lot of deer with it. The stock looked like a corn cob out of the box. LOL
Original long rifles were barrel lengths from 38" to 46 " . A .40 cal. 42" barrel weighs in @ 6 lb. . A 38 " X .40 barrel , weighs 5.46 lb. . One inch of a 7/8 " barrel at .40 cal. is 2.3 oz. per inch. This info. is courtesy Dixie G.W. 2020 catalog Pg.. #556 Ya can estimate the wt. , of the barrel before cutting.

After I got up today, I went to the shop and weighed my barrel, 6 lbs 1 oz on my scales. :thumb:

Back