• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I am now the new, new person.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holley

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been Historical Re-enactor since the mid 70s'. But my main interest in Native American culture and the TIPI.
My web site....http://www.tipis-tepees-teepees.com is huge site dedicated to lodges.
There will be a new book out on tipis in 2005. Over 90% of the information, pictures and drawings have never been seen before. :RO:

Will be attending the Alafia in Fl. this January, Southeastern 2005 (which I helped to start the very fisrt one at Charlie Knights):master: and other events after that. Want to get back to the Western and Eastern when time permits.

Right now, getting ready to tie down the tipi and tipi poles for hurricane Florence or what ever the lady is called.
At least I am prepared for long perioods without electricity, wood and water. Rendezvouse teach you a way to survive. :m2c: My nieghbors want to come to my house. :redthumb:

Linda Holley :peace:

tipis: Welcome. I'd like to learn from you. That's the wonderfull thing about the internet. Information spreads at light speed.
Hope all goes well for you and your's and the storm passes without wrecking havoc.
Let us know how you fair.
:redthumb: :thumbsup:

tipis - Welcome! Fascinating diversion you have there. I really enjoy such pursuits.

Enjoy, sse

Welcome to our humble abode Linda,

Your website is awesome! I too have a great appreciation for tipis and actually made one ( 14' diameter with liner ) from directions in a book years ago so I know how hard it is to get it right. I remember rolling out many yards of canvas one early morning and as the day got hotter, watching it shrink from the morning dew right before my eyes!

Great to have you here! :thumbsup:

LEJ

Linda: As i write this the storm is just off the coast,Hope You get through it with little damage.My Wife and I have the smokepoles and computerready to toss in the car and head up into Georgia if the storm comes this way.You've found a great site,Much good info.Will check out Your site a little later. :) Gordy

You are always welcome at my House in Jacksonville. Anyone with a tipi is welcome....ok...that includes the other tents too. There are a couple of other re-enactors who will be bringing thier encampments and computers to stay here if they have to evacuate from down south. The more the merrier. At least we will all be prepared. Kinda like a mini Alafia or weekend retreat....only windier.

I have been going to the Alafia since before it became a rendezvous and was just a shoot. Had the first tipi at the original old site off state road 50. Oh! the memories.
Have not been in the last two or so years because of sickness and my job. "We" me...myself....and I, are now retired and trying to finish off the new book on tipis before November. Publication is next year spring. It is going to definitly cause a bit of a stir. It is the first real research on primitive tipis since the Laubins and it corrects a lot of the Laubin mistakes.:imo: Will have over 100 photos and drawings of tipis, styles, construction and owners.:RO:

Linda Holley....tipis or "tipi Wastewin"

tipis,
welcome to the forum!!!! sounds like you have a lot of
information you can share with us. looking forward to getting and reading your book. hope frances is'nt to bad for you. keep your powder dry!
again welcome on board,
I am snake-eyes :peace: :thumbsup: :redthumb: :)

Hello and welcome...

I have taken the liberty of adding your web page to our links section...

Hope it's OK...

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll like it here, lots of great people here.
Goodluck with Frances.

Thank you for the link....and good new!!!!

Francis....the awkward cannot make up its mind hurricane is going way south of us. I have been very STRESSED out by this monster. Could not work on my book for the last week.

For all you enthusiast in Montana.....I will be there,Bozeman, in a week or two for the Plains Indian Conference. Giving a paper on Tipis. If anyone is interested...let me know. This is a large group who deal and work in early Native American material. Anyone in welcomed.

And, if you think my spelling is bad...wait till you see the book. Thank God for spellcheck. SOMETIMES!! :RO: :thumbsup: :youcrazy:

tipis - If'n ya need any help with that, lemme know. A broke word or sentence sticks out like sore thumb to me. I think you got the content covered. Just came back from the club rondy and was pleased to see several tipis set up. Only one of 'em had the door facin east, though, so they still got some work to do on that!! :winking:
And, if you think my spelling is bad...wait till you see the book.

Good luck, and batten down the hatches, sse

Tipis: Ah sur am glad ye joined us, specally wit ye bein a expurt on that spel chaker thang!

Ay don't kno why, but evry time Ah usses it, ma machene loks up!! :: :: ::

Sur hop ye don't hav any problims wit that hurrykane down thar.
Let us kno how ye mak out wit it an a big thanks fer joinin up with our site. :)

Thanks for the invite!Looks like were going to miss the high winds just some flooding and tornados.I've only set one tipiand found it to make a great camp. :)Gordy

:huh:Actually, a tipi does NOT have to face east. They can face any direction the wind is blowing too. In other words....keep the wind to the back of your tipi. Here in flooded Fl. I usually point mine to the southeast. In central Fl. I face my door due south depending on the time of year. At the Eastern in NY...we faced North. On the Plains the winds blow out of the west to the east.
This HAVING to face the tipi door east is not always true. The Indians faced them any direction they wanted.:m2c: There is NO sacred direction stuff....do not know where all that came from.

:crackup: :shake: :master:

tipis - I just read that somewhere, and I don't know where it came from either. Maybe there's a place where the wind only blows from the west. ??! ::

Regards, sse

Maybe there's a place where the wind only blows from the west. ??! ::

Only when the herd of buffalo are in the sunrset does the wind blow west towards your lodge...

Hi Tipis... :)

4linda.jpg

Gee, thanks for the HELLO and I will gladly add your link to my web site. This is a good group of people to belong too. :agree: Love all these little guys you can add to your message. :RO: Makes your ideas a little more visual.

I also do surf[url] Braintan.com[/url],[url] Powwow.com[/url], PlainsIndian Yahoo Seminar site and Lodgeowners Yahoo site...for any of "you all" who wonder who "tipis" maybe. Also known as the "Cheshire Cat" on some postings :what:. That is my evil mini me.

Welllll must go...the wind is blowing like hell here :shocking: and I do not want to blow my hard drive if we loose power again. :nono:

But I am prepared for the hurricane. :huh: :youcrazy: :eek: :blah:

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat web site Tipis!
After reading about how easily you got "hooked" on tipis, I really think you should try building just one simple rifle kit like the Great Plains Rifle.
Some brass tacks in a pattern typical of the plains indians guns on the stock, perhaps a strip of shrunken rawhide around the wrist of the stock, some round balls, patches, black powder and you'd be set.

It would fit in with your tipi and introduce you to another fascinating aspect dealing with our nations past.

A word of caution though. Once you've built one muzzleloading rifle, you will be hooked just as you were with the tipi. ::

Back