• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I am now the new, new person.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I don't have to build a rifle. I have a original Lymen or leman or sp. is bad on this from 1836. It is a 36 caliber and I have been shooting it since 1978. She shoots like a dream for a gun so old. My other percussion was a 45 till I sold her. Just sticking to one gun. At many of the shooting events, I camp in a wall tent with all equipement for the time peoriod. I also am a Historical Cannoneer for the Castilio de San Marcos in St. Augustine with the National Park Serivce. So I do have a bit of a background in the Historicallll or was that Histerical area. :crackup: :crackup:

Love to shoot the cannons off the fort. 300 years of history up there on the gun ports. Spanish Colonial...

OOOOps..loosing battery power with all the electical out from the hurricane. But this site is so intriging to look at. :shocking: :haha: :blah:

Tipis: Your rifle is possibly a Leman made by Henry E. Leman who was trained by Melchoir Fordney in 1828-1831.
The son of another gunsmith, Henry worked with George Tryon (another well known gunmaker) from 1831 to 1834 and went into business for himself in 1834.
He made a number of guns for the Indian Bureau.
(The Plains Rifle by Charles Hanson Jr p 8).
One of his first big sales with the US Indian Bureau was for 500 rifles on Nov 7, 1837. (The Plains Rifle by Charles Hanson Jr p 75). The 1836 date you mentioned is of course right in this time frame.

Although many of the rifles he produced were large bore weapons (.50 to .65 caliber) there were a number of rifles being made at that time in smaller calibers.
His guns were popular with the general public as well as the indians and a number of them were known to have been used during the later stages of the Trapping era in the Rockys.

You must pardon me for assuming you didn't have much in the way of shooting. You didn't mention that your Tipi was equipped with firepower in addition to the obligatory fire pit.

You never should have mentioned CANNONS! Now ole Mooskeetman and a host of others will give you no piece!
I think the only reason Mooskeetman shoots a Brown Bess is he has a craving for guns with large bores so cannons are one of his major cravings.
Unfortunatly, Mrs Mooskeetman won't let him have one of his own! ::

Hold on to your hat, and I hope your power comes back on soon.

I believe that the Navajo hogans always have their door facing east. The purpose is to greet the morning sun. At least that is what Tony Hillerman told me in all of his books. :) Maybe that is where the belief came about for tipis?
:m2c:

I believe that the Navajo hogans always have their door facing east. The purpose is to greet the morning sun. At least that is what Tony Hillerman told me in all of his books. :) Maybe that is where the belief came about for tipis?
:m2c:

That's true. It's interesting how many of the traditional practices also have a practical side to them.

Placing the door of a hogan or tipi on the East prevents the wind from blowing straight in. Also, in the case of the tipi, due to the way the smoke flaps are arranged, it helps vent the dwelling.

Hi Tipis,

Hope you survived Frances OK and the oncoming monster.

Know anything about the 1775 Indian uprising against the Mission at San Diego, CA? I've got some info (including the names of the soldiers present and the three slained Spainards), but want more specifics about the fight.

I have the honour, Sir, to be your humble and obedient servant.

Gary

Yup!!! I am a Lady!!! :nono: :results: :imo:
And sorry, i do not know anything about the Spanish in California....but I know a lot about the the Spanish in Fla!

Apologies to you m'Lady.

I have the honour to be, Madam, your humble and obedient servant.

(BTW, I've never seen that closing before).

Gary :redface:

Back