• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdy from Scotland

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdick

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi
Newbie to muzzle loading here in the Scottish Borders. Been shooting and hunting since childhood and have finally took the plunge and applied for a variation for a .45 Long Rifle on my Firearms Certificate. I am very much into having a go at making items such as a possibles bag, powder horns etc. Hope to gain lots of information and advice from all fellow smoke pole users.
All the best and may your powder always be dry !
reiver xxv

One of my grandfathers came over from your neck of the woods back around 1790. Mcdonald he was. Anyway, it's good to have you here.

welcome..I had some ancestos that came to america after colludin.they were sold as indentured servents in connecticut.That was in 1749,we got our revenge a few years later

Welcome Jim. My ancestors came from Scotland, the far north in Caithness and Sutherland and some from the Isle of Skye. I hope you will enjoy being a member.

:hatsoff: Howdy and welcome,may you enjoy your venture into the world of BP. :thumbsup: Griz

welcome in ... i'm pretty sure my paternal grandmothers folks were from somewhere around the isle of skye ... my fathers dad was born in a little town in canada calles 'asbestos mines' (little doubt what they did there) ...

anyway, welcome to the forum. if you don't already have them, see if you can get copies of T.C. Albert's book, Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch, here: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/49/1/BOOK-R18-CHP

as well as the Sibley's book, Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn, here: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/76/1/BOOK-R18CPH

these books got me into tinkering with little bits of stuff, much to the consternation of my wife and kids, who expected me to become 'a productive member of society' or some such silliness ... well, at least when i'm making a mess in the basement, i'm not getting into brawls at the local bars (actually, i'm getting a bit long in the tooth for brawling, and there aren't any local bars into which i would go anyway - full of yuppies - do you have yuppies in Scotland?)

well, that's the rant for today ... welcome in, again, and

make good smoke!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all for such a warm welcome, our surname Dickson has a few connections to the US and Canada some were trappers and latterly one of descendants fought in the Civil War on the Confederate side.
Again thanks and all the best
reiver XXV
Ps no yuppies in any bars local to me !

Welcome! My 18th century alter-ego (well one of them anyways)is that of a 42nd highlander. My great-great grandfather immigrated from Scotland around the time our Civil War. I hope to visit your country in the upcoming years.

Thanks for the welcome. My father served in the 42 nd Regiment of Foot otherwise known asThe Black Watch. I will get over the other side of the pond one day, we have no wilderness areas left here. Give me a shout when you get over.
See you through the smoke !
reiverxxv

reiver XXV said:
Thanks for the welcome. My father served in the 42 nd Regiment of Foot otherwise known asThe Black Watch. I will get over the other side of the pond one day, we have no wilderness areas left here. Give me a shout when you get over.
See you through the smoke !
reiverxxv

That's awsome. The Black Watch has an amazing history so steeped in tradition.

Thanks for the welcome, hope to make over your side of the pond one day.
Cheers and see you through the smoke !

Welcome Scotsman, to the forum. This muzzle loader business is fun! Your country's contribution to this nation in people is very noteworthy. One has only to read lists of captains of industry,politicians,and soldiers to see that. One of my favorite Scots is James Ewell Brown (Jeb) Stuart CSA. I was in England on a couple of occasions while serving in our navy,but just couldn't get over Hadrian's wall. Write up some of your adventures, I'd really be interested in reading them.

Back