• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdah Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With my luck, I'd need the Howda to stop the elephant.

I can just see the tiger leaping out of the brush towards the elephant.

Before it had covered 10 yards the elephant reaches back with his trunk, wraps it around me and proceeds to use me as a club to dispatch the tiger.

Rapidly, I would fire a ball into the elephants head and use the remaining ball to dispatch what was left of the now badly beaten tiger. :grin:

Zonie said:
Before it had covered 10 yards the elephant reaches back with his trunk, wraps it around me and proceeds to use me as a club to dispatch the tiger.

Geeze, Zonie, the mental picture is a real gut-buster! REEEEEEHHHH!! Thump! Thump! Thump! :rotf:

Do any of you have any idea of what "an anti-becoming a tiger meal" load for an 8-bore DB howdah pistol might have been?
(I've found a note that "the proper size patched ball" was .825-.830 inch.)

yours, satx

Looking at that picture, taken at Royal Armouries, you have to wonder...

Where is the mahout?

Already inside the tiger? :shocked2:

Jumpshot said:
plastikosmd said:
Good luck with it, they are fun at the range. Here is a pic of mine, tho a bit older. I wonder if unsat an angry cat

d6c6193b.jpg

df5861b4.jpg

a8b77678.jpg

7fa95fee.jpg

VOC-EFM.jpg
With a pistol like that, all you need is 200 grains of powder ( no ball) when it gets close enough....cook em!
Fred

Cynthialee said:
them barrels look rather short....

Considering what the guns was intended for, long barrels is the last thing you need or want...point shooting at it's finest!

Loads... in my 20ga version I use .600 balls, .015 patches, 40gr 777 typically.

An ounce of #4 buckshot and the same 40gr of powder with an overshot and over powder card gives a nice tight pattern. If I use one of those thick cushion wads the shot goes all over the place.

Historical note: When Lord Baden Powell was a very junior member of the British General Staff (Lord Powell was then a Major, with previous service with the 26th Regiment of Fusiliers.) in South Africa (I'm guessing the undated "report of incident" - The USA would likely call it a "memo for record". - is from circa 1905.) his batman repelled a "night prowler" with a double-barrel pistol, belonging to MAJ Baden Powell.
The report says that his manservant "-----thereupon armed himself with the weapon and speaking no warning, twice fired upon the intruder driving the body more than 10 steps away and almost cutting the corpse to pieces."
(Unfortunately, there is no identifying data on the pistol and/or its load, though the brief description makes it seem likely that it was a howdah pistol and probably loaded with shot.)

yours, satx

Well, that just sounds like it beats the pants off a modern pocket pistol. After all, it really is the first shot that counts the most.

The Howdah would actually be a pretty decent home defense weapon as long as you don't have some kind of multiple attacker home invasion deal going on. I can fire off two accurate-enough shots amazingly quickly with it.

I think multiple attackers would turn tail and run after the Howdah's first barrel fired.

The deafening roar, the sheet of flames and smoke would convince anyone not strung out on drugs that they have just got a close glimpse of Hell and they are next in line.

The brain dead or drugged one would receive the second barrels load to help him on his way.

I most strongly suspect that you are 100% CORRECT.

A pair of 8-bores (like the ones that I saw when I was with the BAOR) that the Brigadier ordered "for India service", I suspect at household range would sound like an artillery preparation! - Only a stone cold lunatic would stick around for more of that punishment, presuming that you survived the first volley.

yours, satx

My only issue with a howdah loaded with shot for home defense is the collateral damage to my home and knick knacks. :nono:
I will stick with a good revolver that shoots a single projectile at a time.

Ma'am,

As a retired county/state/federal LEO of over 3 decades "pinned to the badge", I know that you/me/nobody can hit an intruder IN THE DARK with a revolver, except by PURE ACCIDENT unless the criminal(s) is/are within arm's reach.
(In the "Shooting House" I've seen EXPERT marksmen repeatedly miss a man-size silhouette at THREE METERS, even when shooting at "simulated muzzle flashes".)

That fact is WHY that I keep a pair loaded riot-guns within reach at home.
(I put too many vicious kidnappers, robbers, sex criminals, murderers and in particular "narcotrafficantes" away to ever be unarmed.)

Repairing your home & replacing "knick knacks" is better than a trip to the ER or the morgue!

yours, satx

Back