• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdah Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fwiw, I saw Bell's "cut-down, 7mm, Spanish-surplus, 1893 Mauser", when it was "on loan" to the NRA Museum on Rhode Island Ave in WDC.- Wasn't at all what I expected for so FAMOUS of a "big-game rifle".
(Otoh, IF you are discharging the rifle into an elephant brain or heart at 10 yards or LESS, I guess that "pretty" makes little difference!)

I was told at Southport, NC that Robert C. Ruark, the author of USE ENOUGH GUN, SOMETHING OF VALUE, UHURU, HORN OF THE HUNTER & great other books bought part of W.D.M. Bell's estate & willed Bell's weapons & some of his own (Including Ruark's brace of .500 Nitro Express for BP double-rifles & the custom-made .318 Wesley-Richards BA rifle that "Brian McDermott" supposedly carried, when out chasing Mau-Mau terrorists in the Kenya mountains, in SOMETHING OF VALUE.) his rifles to Harry Selby's grandson, upon Ruark's own passing.

yours, satx

Good luck with it, they are fun at the range. Here is a pic of mine, tho a bit older. I wonder if unsat an angry cat

d6c6193b.jpg

df5861b4.jpg

a8b77678.jpg

7fa95fee.jpg

Wow! What a beauty!! What's the bore size on your baby? I'm green with envy! :youcrazy:(As close as I could get to green & yes, I'm crazy!)

satx78247 said:
Just THINKING about firing an 8-bore PISTOL makes my arm ache, though if I had a panther or tiger in my lap, I likely wouldn't notice the recoil!!!

yours, satx

IIRC one of the Rajs was quoted as saying "recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on your elephant"

Well I finally received my HOWDAH PISTOL,Pedersoli manufacture.Sure is a nicely manufactured pistol.The machining is superb.It works great,world of hurt on the wrong end.Fired it 8 times varying balls and shot.Was wondering what some of the other owners have tried as far powder load and shot load.Biggest load I tried was 60 grains of black powder.Thanks for any help.

I have been wanting of those. Nothing would look more menacing point at you. It is just hard for me to come up with that kind of money for a gun that I cant use at a rondy. I will end up with a 20ga flint trade pistol. Someday

I get much better accuracy with 3F than 2F. I've also used 60 grains behind a patched ball just to see what it would do, but I normally use less than that. I've used up to 7/8 oz. of #6 shot with an equal volume of powder (55 grains according to my measure). It works up close, but you need some sort of a cup for tighter patterns.

But I prefer shooting roundballs anyway. I live right next to a wildlife safari and you never know when one of the tigers or lions will escape. :grin:

btech said:
60 grains is a bit much. I use about 30-35 in my twin 50 cal.

I thought a howdah pistol was to stop a tiger just before he stopped you. How about 100 grains behind a suppository shaped slug? :rotf:

pestcontrol.jpg

:) sometimes I wonder ,wonder I do ,nice photo. And this is for those who havn't yet grasped what a Howdah was for when that cat starts to get close you poke those barrels into his/her chest and drop those hammers.

Squire Robin said:
I thought a howdah pistol was to stop a tiger just before he stopped you. How about 100 grains behind a suppository shaped slug? :rotf:

pestcontrol.jpg

Or an RPG! :rotf:

Latest posts

Back