• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How'd they make round ball molds?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennypapa

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was shopping for a round ball mold recently after I decided that making one would be better left to Lyman or Lee. That did spark the question in my mind.

How did the gunmakers of history make roundball molds?

Anybody have a source you could point me to?

Thanks, Bennypapa

A fluted spherical cutter called a "cherry" is used to cut mold recesses.

There is a drawing of a cherry at the following link -[url] http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/stories/PPW/B3_chapter-2.htm[/url]

Once in a while a modern builder makes a cherry, and if you have a gun that has been freshed out to a larger, non-standard caliber for which commercial molds are not available, this is about the only way to get a new mold that will cast a bullet to fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "Foxfire" book that has flintlock rifle making in it shows exactly how a cherry is made and how a mold is cut from it. That is the book that inspired me to try my hand at building muzzleloaders. I know that there are other books out there that also may show how to do it, but I don't know offhand. I'm sure someone here can tell us.

My local library had that Foxfire book. Thanks for the tip.

I'll have something to read in the evenings.

Bennypapa

Gunsmithing Tips and Projects has an artical on making a bullet mold cherry, it's an interesting look at the process even if you never have any desire to build one.

I was talking to an old gunsmith a while back and he told me something interesting about making cherrys. After the barrel is reamed and before rifling the old gunsmiths would take a short piece off the end of the barrel. Filing it smooth on the end to give a sharp edge where the bore starts then case hardening this part. A cherry was held to the end of this short piece at about a 45 degree angle and tuned. The sharp edge would scrape cherry till it was round and would fit the bore. Then it had teeth filed into it and then hardened. Another way would be to use a milling machine and a dividing head like this
ballturning.jpg

They are said to have made a cherry with each new rifle or upon freshening. The usual medium was soapstone, I believe. I used to own a soapstone bullet made with a cherry. :thumbsup:

How does the miling machine/dividing head work? I can't quite tell from the picture.

Bennypapa

Pictured is a boring head with the cutter reversed so it cuts the OD insted of the ID. The mill is run in reverse and the handle on the dividing head is turned to rotate the shaft that the ball is on. It was a solid shaft to start with. The adjustment on the boring head and table hight size the ball. A spin jig could also be used in place of the tilting dividing head if it could be held at an angle.

I think I get it.

The boring cutter is taking the place of the old fashioned cutter/scraper made from hardened steel with a holed drilled/reamed in it.

Makes sense now, Thanks for the insight,

Bennypapa

that whole foxfire book is good readin'. make ya want to go bear huntin' after you build your own rifle and make your own blackpowder.

Back