• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How you fill your pan makes no difference ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only peculiar thing I've run into with priming my Kibler SMR is the little spring loaded tip on my priming flask tends to get gunked up and clogged if I press it directly into the pan itself. The fouling on the pan surface tends to get a little goopy in the local high humidity. Being new to flinters, I had to sort things out...

I figured out if I touch the flask tip to the bottom of the frizzen, the flask tip stays clean, the powder falls into the pan and things reliably go bang at that point. And it doesn't take much in the SMR. Seems like "filling the pan" would make an unnecessarily large flash.
I've always held my index finger over the tip of the priming flask, then dumped the powder into the pan. Usually one tip full is enough to prime the pan.

I see some guys put the tip into the pan then push three or four times. Way too much priming powder.

I switched over to 3f years ago. I found out that I could get more shots out of a can of 3f as opposed to a can of 2f. Plus l didn’t have to fool with a pan primer and 4f. Over the years I have found that 3f does very well in the barrel and pan , the KISS principle.

I switched over to 3f years ago. I found out that I could get more shots out of a can of 3f as opposed to a can of 2f. Plus l didn’t have to fool with a pan primer and 4f. Over the years I have found that 3f does very well in the barrel and pan , the KISS principle.

Took me four guns and about six months to come to the same conclusion. I haven't tried 4F in the .32 yet though, I think it would actually be good for the main charge in that one on account of the long TH channel. Might not have to smack the side of the rifle three or four times before seating the ball to prevent FIPs.

I have found that it is very lock dependent for me. My fowler, built by a friend of ours here, can be primed any which way, with any powder, and go off like a missile. Others I play around with. Whenever I have trouble I just switch to a little 3ff rather than 2ff. It isn't that the other locks are very finicky, just that the lock on my fowler eats everything. Jim Chambers deserves a medal lol. I have never experimented with 4ff but I do not really see the need. If the ignition is any faster, I would not be a good enough shot to notice. I just fill the pan about 2/3 on the opposite end from the hole. I don't know how much of a difference this makes because when you are walking around I imagine it slides all back and forth. It has never been a problem when walking around on my family farm.

Yes ! and more is less . You have to prime each firearm VERY carefully and each flintlock has its own ritual . If you part the prime down the middle it will work so much better . Use a pin or very thin stick , perhaps a tooth pick . Sometimes two mounds in the middle of an elongated pan is very good too .

Thats all BS, once you prime and raise the gun to fire the powder moves, and if you are hunting walking around the prime is all over the place, you have either a good lock or you don't have a good lock. But standing on one foot does help

However you prime the pan , just be consistent , and don't overfill the pan. If you use less than full in the pan , turn the gun so the touch hole is toward up direction , and bump the side of the stock once or twice , to push the priming powder toward the touch hole. Shot a lot of competition , and this always made ignition consistent. If you make a habit of doing this , you will do it w/o thinking about it. Also , since the 3 grain push priming valves became popular , I have primed with one of those using 3 or 4 pushes seems to fill the pan adequately. This info I use , is for custom flint guns , as I have no factory guns to try .

Thats all BS, once you prime and raise the gun to fire the powder moves, and if you are hunting walking around the prime is all over the place, you have either a good lock or you don't have a good lock. But standing on one foot does help
Yes , it was a sarcastic joke to the ritualistic primers on here . Kind of the point of the whole thread . Im seeing a pattern on this forum ...

I call MALARKEY on you all!
Your just getting by on pure dumb luck!
Six pages on how to fill the prime pan and not one of you get it, not one of you understand to true art of muzzleloading.

I learned the right way from the masters before the Internet had web pages or pictures, we only had Bulletin Boards and were not confused or distracted by flashy objects on the screen (and we typed with our Fingers not our thumbs!).

First you need the right touch hole prick: an iron horse shoe nail, from the Front Right hood, and don't use one that had been 'thrown' as that is Bad Mojo.
Then forge it during the light of a full Harvest moon and quench it in som fine whiskey, but this must be done Before midnight, not a second past else the Witching Hour will curse the pick.
Now you need some some fine FFFFg powder (only because I bought too much years ago and need to use it up).
Fill the pan EXACTLY one half full, not a grain more, and use your nail pick to store it around as this breaks up any clumping that may ha occured then pour just a little bit more but never more then two thirds of a pan. Now once again take that Harvest Moon forged iron pick and make three tiny holes in the powder leading Away from the touch hole, NEVER toward it.
Now close the frizzen, raise the gun, put your left foot in and put your left foot out - DO NOT TURN AROUND OR THE RANGE OFFICER WILL SHOUT! And pull the trigger.

Works every time.

Now we all know the proper way to prune a muzzleloader so now let's discuss how to get that Stuck Ball out as we did not say to Charge The Bloody contraption first!!!!!
😡

Six pages on how to fill the prime pan and not one of you get it, not one of you understand to true art of muzzleloading.

I learned the right way from the masters before the Internet had web pages or pictures, we only had Bulletin Boards and were not confused or distracted by flashy objects on the screen (and we typed with our Fingers not our thumbs!).

First you need the right touch hole prick: an iron horse shoe nail, from the Front Right hood, and don't use one that had been 'thrown' as that is Bad Mojo.
Then forge it during the light of a full Harvest moon and quench it in som fine whiskey, but this must be done Before midnight, not a second past else the Witching Hour will curse the pick.
Now you need some some fine FFFFg powder (only because I bought too much years ago and need to use it up).
Fill the pan EXACTLY one half full, not a grain more, and use your nail pick to store it around as this breaks up any clumping that may ha occured then pour just a little bit more but never more then two thirds of a pan. Now once again take that Harvest Moon forged iron pick and make three tiny holes in the powder leading Away from the touch hole, NEVER toward it.
Now close the frizzen, raise the gun, put your left foot in and put your left foot out - DO NOT TURN AROUND OR THE RANGE OFFICER WILL SHOUT! And pull the trigger.

Works every time.

Now we all know the proper way to prune a muzzleloader so now let's discuss how to get that Stuck Ball out as we did not say to Charge The Bloody contraption first!!!!!
😡
L I B! All this time I’d been using a nail from the front left hoof. No wonder I’d been getting a misfar ever hunert shots or so.

Works every time.

😡
Well, that explains it. Not only did I use a left hoof nail to make the pick, but I quenched it in Scotch. ;)

Works every time.

😡
Finally someone who knows what he is doing!!!

Thanks.

Don

Haven't been on this forum in a long time.
This conversation is reminding me why.

Back