• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How you fill your pan makes no difference ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hear so many times you have to fill the pan , half way , push the powder away , or sometimes , toward the pan , use 4 F , dont put too much in , part it down the middle , make a void near the T.H. etc. etc. this or that .... You should be able to just dump powder in the pan and close the frizzen thats it . If you over fill it too much and the frizzen wont close , sure , knock some out so it'll close completely but thats it . If you have to do some sortta voodoo for your flintlock to go off or if you aren't getting fast ignition ....something is wrong with your lock , your Touch hole , or both .

Last edited:
I admit that I’m too picky about priming. I’ll try to loosen up a little and see what happens.
Hey , what ever works for you bud ....but ive heard people say the goofiest thing about how they prime their pans , some weird ritual . If it works for them , cool ! Knock yourself out but if the guns ignition is slow, delayed , doesnt go off half the time ....there is something wrong ....quit living with it . And ....do people really think their priming is not going to move in the pan if they are out hunting ? Very strange to think someone would believe that ....

Hey , what ever works for you bud ....but ive heard people say the goofiest thing about how they prime their pans , some weird ritual . If it works for them , cool ! Knock yourself out but if the guns ignition is slow, delayed , doesnt go off half the time ....there is something wrong ....quit living with it . And ....do people really think their priming is not going to move in the pan if they are out hunting ? Very strange to think someone would believe that ....
I agree.

If you touch hole is placed properly you can prime with your eyes closed.
Firing upside down was required for several shots on our range. It's really no big deal.
In fact I have shot entire matches upside down just to piss all the caplock shooters off.
Im not saying shooting upside down is a big deal , a marvel , I'm just saying its a good test of a flintlocks ignition. . I know an awful lot of flintlocks that will not pass this test ....and it is proof positive that the powder is not in the same position in the pan as I put it ....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back