• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how would you guys fix this.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
traditions give me a hard time when I complained about this. how can I fix it
1673382930624.jpeg

Attachments

• DSCF0164.JPG
    DSCF0164.JPG
    493.8 KB · Views: 0
What are metal shavings from? Keep them out of your trigger assembly.

Are you sure it's not supposed to be like that. Just because it's drilled at an angle doesn't make it incorrect.

Does the screw enter the trigger plate when dropped through the tang/stock hole?

Last edited:
no I can not screw it into the trigger group after it is in the tang. That is just glue stains on my cutting mat. I used that so you could see the angle on the screw.

Try this.

Gently chamfer the end of the screw threads to the root diameter of the thread.

And gently chamfer the threaded hole the screw goes into. This chamfer should be the diameter of the screw.

Sometimes these two chamfers will help guide the screw into the trigger plate threads.

No lasting damage will occur by doing this. It will be of benefit long term.

traditions give me a hard time when I complained about this. how can I fix itView attachment 188994
You're not describing your issue sufficiently. Put the trigger in the stock and run the bolt through the tang so we can see how far off it is. If this were my issue, if it were not too far off, I would run a drill through the bottom of the stock and out the tang at the correct angle. Sometimes it's just the hole through the stock that's off. Again, drill the stock at the correct angle trigger plate hole to tang hole. Hard to say without better pictures of the problem. Just some things I have run into in the past. Semper Fi.

You're not describing your issue sufficiently. Put the trigger in the stock and run the bolt through the tang so we can see how far off it is. If this were my issue, if it were not too far off, I would run a drill through the bottom of the stock and out the tang at the correct angle. Sometimes it's just the hole through the stock that's off. Again, drill the stock at the correct angle trigger plate hole to tang hole. Hard to say without better pictures of the problem. Just some things I have run into in the past. Semper Fi.
I had a similar issue and just making the tang hole slightly bigger, and cleaning it up, solved the problem.

I would guess the hole through the stock needs to be slightly enlarged to give you some wiggle room. You can run a tap through the tang and then through stock to make the holes align.

I have done this when I replaced the stripped tang screws on a TC with bolts threaded into brass bushings. The first bushing was a perfect fit, the second one was just slightly off, the bolt wouldn't start into the threads. I ran a tap through the wood and into the bushing. The amount of metal removed from the bushing was just a few tiny shavings. The bolt started easily and wasn't the least bit loose.

Installing these bushings was a lot harder than one would think because they cut threads into the wood as they go in and they are a bugger to get started and have them go in straight even with the tang bolt installed to pull them into alignment

bushing alignment.JPG

I got them in but wouldn't want to tackle the same job again.

bushings complete.JPG

Last edited:
If you can't get a replacement, disassemble the trigger and micro-weld the hole closed. Drill and tap a new one.
Many of the suggestions I read assume that the avg person has taps, dies, drill presses, lathes, and all sorts of tools ,machinery ,etc along with a "shop" area that allows all this to take place? I am here to tell you , that is not the case many times! Ther is a need for simple fixes that can be made, by average people that do not have all that equipment. IMHO :dunno:

If they gave me a hard time I would order another part from them under the wifes name and with a separate card. When the new good part comes in it gets installed, the faulty part gets returned and they can scratch they're butts n sniff they're fingers. Further problems are just as easy as you will have the corrected part installed, they will have the bad one back and if it comes to it you stop charges on the card you used. Some times vendors hire folks that cant think and they make life hard. Gotta improvise during these times.

The above assuming the correct part is available for immediate shipping, other wise like RCHAS says ya gotta have tools.

Latest posts

Back