• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to use a Colt Walker flask?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a repro of a Colt Walker Flask. I can't find a proper procedure how to use it. I want to use it on my 1847 Colt Walker. I know there is a sliding door to a compartment to hold RBs, but the rest is a mystery to me. I have read that it can be set for measures.

There is a measuring tube, but don't see how the powder enter it enough to hold a charge. It is closed on the other end.

Anyone actually using one? Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1557.JPG
    IMG_1557.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
It is designed to push the nozzle into/against the chamber and it deposits a measured load. That assumes the tube fills correctly before performing that procedure. You can help that out by holding your finger over the spout and shaking it a few times while holding the spout downward.

It is designed to push the nozzle into/against the chamber and it deposits a measured load. That assumes the tube fills correctly before performing that procedure. You can help that out by holding your finger over the spout and shaking it a few times while holding the spout downward.

That's how I use mine, just make sure there are no sparks in the cylinder chambers.
Apparently there is a way to adjust the amount. There is a threaded rod that goes through the brass part that goes inside the flask. Marked it is "other end" in my picture. How do I use it to adjust the amount of powder?

Do I take this apart? It has tiny screws.

Attachments

• IMG_1557.JPG
    IMG_1557.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 0
I just had to go and look at mine and the rod out of the back is threaded and the powder charge is adjusted by screwing it in for less powder and out for more powder. I don't see threads on yours but it may be screwed all the way in or it's adjustment may have a set screw to lock it after adjusting.
Edit: I didn't see where you said the rod is threaded, That's the powder adjustment. I use an adjustable powder measure to check how many grains of 3f powder it's throwing.

Last edited:
I have several flasks, but not one of the Walker type, and I have not tried to adjust one. However, in the fourth photo, first post, is a caption with arrows stating “Balls go here.” That sure looks like the port for the powder, to me. The other hole or cavity with the rotating lid looks like the ball compartment.

The tiny screws around the collar of the flask head hold the head onto the flask body. They are easy to lose and easy to strip. I would not remove them unless absolutely necessary, and that does not appear to be the case. If you do take them out, put some kind of witness mark on the flask head and body to ensure the flask head is reinstalled in the same rotational position. If it isn’t, the screw holes may not line up.

I would think the charge adjustment would involve only the mechanical spout for that flask, which appears to screw right out. That protruding rod looks like a guide rod for the plunger within the spout, to me.

Notchy Bob

On mine I just unscrew the rod that is out the back, like in your picture.. As you can see there is a window in the cylinder that lets the powder in and when you push the front nipple down on the cylinder it closes the window so only the measured charge is dropped into the cylinder. The little red grommet on the end of the screw can be pushed up to the base to act as a stop or gauge for the amount of powder at that setting.
Edit: mine looks a little different than yours, it's been a coon's age since I last used it but I think the screw visible on the barrel also is an adjustment where the screw fits into the detentes, lets the front barrel move in or out. When I blew up the last picture in your first post, I can see the screw, you don't have to take it all the way out just enough to clear the detente.
100_2384.JPG

Last edited:
The originals were such a failure that they gave up and went to paper cartridges. They would gum up and seldom threw a consistent charge.

I’m just curious…

Pedersoli has pretty much cornered the market for traditional and reproduction powder flasks here in the USA, and these Walker flasks are made by Pedersoli. Dixie sells replacement flask heads in a couple of sizes for Italian powder flasks. If one were to own a Walker flask and be unhappy with the plunger-type charger, could one of the standard replacement flask heads be fitted to the Walker flask body?

I have at least three of the large Pedersoli flasks with standard heads; a Zouave “Peace” flask, a Texas model, and a French-style flask with the fluted body. I don’t know if the heads of these are interchangeable or not, but I might check that out just for the hell of it. I would be willing to take some measurements of my flasks if an owner of a Walker flask would do the same, and we could compare. Just if anybody is interested.

Notchy Bob

I’m just curious…

Pedersoli has pretty much cornered the market for traditional and reproduction powder flasks here in the USA, and these Walker flasks are made by Pedersoli. Dixie sells replacement flask heads in a couple of sizes for Italian powder flasks. If one were to own a Walker flask and be unhappy with the plunger-type charger, could one of the standard replacement flask heads be fitted to the Walker flask body?

Notchy Bob
Yes. Looks like it could fit. My micrometer shows
Colt flask neck body with spout is at 1.361
Walker Flask neck body is at 1.380"
"Screw on type" neck body is at 1.381

Even the screw on flask body is 1.381

Attachments

• IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    772.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1573.JPG
    IMG_1573.JPG
    450.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1578.JPG
    IMG_1578.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Yes. Looks like it could fit. My micrometer shows
Colt flask neck body with spout is at 1.361
Walker Flask neck body is at 1.380"
"Screw on type" neck body is at 1.381

Even the screw on flask body is 1.381
Well, how about that! Maybe they will interchange, if you were interested in doing so.

There are some reviews of the Walker flask on the Dixie Gun Works website that discuss the spout adjustment issue, although it looks as if you might have found the answer already on The High Road forum.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Making a supply of paper cartridges at home for your C&B revolvers makes loading & shooting is sooo much faster, easier & fun !!

I store my .44 paper cartridges in plastic .45 Colt unmentionable boxes to avoid damaging them & smaller calibers in .38 S&W boxes.
Relic shooter

Latest posts

Back