• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to make sure Renegade is unloaded

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might try the ball pullers that TC markets...I have them in .45/.50/.54/.58 cals with the caliber sized brass collar around them...used them a number of times over the years...they don't expand the ball in any way that causes any problem because the 'screw' portion is not long enough to get down into the widest part of the ball enough to expand it...the expansion take place on the top half of the ball above it's widest point...knock on wood, mine always just slide right out...

...and I have a fair amount of experience doing this ::

I may be crazy, but I would throw a cap on and letter rip! Or just remove nipple, and try to blow through the barrel.

Nope, just unsafe in this example. You have no clue as to what is in the barrel.

The safest way is with water or somthing that could foul and contaminate any charge left in the bore.

It likely needs cleaning anyhow, so a hot as you can stand soapy water down the bore with the nipple removed is where I would start. If water flows freely from the flash channel and nipple threads, excellent chance the rifle is unloaded. Otherwise, you have something in the bore that needs to be safely removed.

:imo:

I know of a case where a load was attempted to be pulled, the ball puller twisted into the gap between the ball and the bore, and the ramrod tip snapped off inside the barrel. The whole disaster was left in place and forgotten (or sold off purposely).

Trying to fire that mess out would possibly earn you a breechplug nose piercing.

I know of a case where a load was attempted to be pulled, the ball puller twisted into the gap between the ball and the bore, and the ramrod tip snapped off inside the barrel. The whole disaster was left in place and forgotten (or sold off purposely).

Trying to fire that mess out would possibly earn you a breechplug nose piercing.

:agree:

I bought a Traditions caplock years back at a garage sale for the sole purposes of refinishing the exterior and making a wall hanger. That rifle had a broken rod tip of a ball puller, PRB and a live charge also. I ended up getting the charge out with compressed air after I had removed the nipple, soaked the charge with hot soapy water as well in the bore. Then fitted an air compressor line to the nipple threads and blew out the charge.

:nono: Never trust what someone else has abandoned in the bore of any weapon. And certainly don't attempt to discharge the load.

If this isn't deja vu all over again....
A couple of months ago I bought a used renegade for a great price thru an online auction. When I received it, I found that there was a load still in the barrel... about 4 inches up from the breech end so it was really easy to tell. Pulled the breech plug and found it plugged solid with solidified pyrodex that had turned a rust red color! So, I soaked the breech end in water and picked away until I got most of the pyrodex out and could see the base of the bullet... a saboted round. Sprayed WD40 down the muzzle end to prepare for a bullet pulling. Screwed into the projectile with my t-handled steel range rod, stood on the handle with both feet, wrapped the barrel with an old towel and commenced to pulling upward on the barrel. Wouldn't budge! Soaked the whole dang thing in kerosene for 24 hours. Came back to it, tried it again and finally was able to remove it. Bore was badly pitted throughout, testament to the use of pyrodex and a lack of owner care. I worked the bore with green pads, bore paste and steel wool and it improved markedly, but couldn't remove the pits; they'r there to stay. But it shoots well! Moral of the story is to treat every gun as a loaded gun, especially those purchased from others via the internet.

If you removed the breech plug, couldn't you have just pushed the bullet out from that end? It seems to me that that would be a much easier way to go.

Oh, and just to stay on topic. I think the ramrod method is the easiest way to check for a load in the gun, but has anyone ever tried one of those fiber optic bore lights for this?

If you removed the breech plug, couldn't you have just pushed the bullet out from that end? It seems to me that that would be a much easier way to go.

I like doing things the hard way, besides that breech plug wrench looked so lonesome sitting on the remote corner of my workbench. Seriously, I neglected to mention that initial attempts at pulling the ball from the muzzle end were all together fruitless. Could just as well have been a steel carriage bolt or ? down there. So I pulled the plug to get a better look see. With the right tool, pulling a plug is not so much of a problem unless it's a CVA, in which case it stays put!

Oops, I see your question now. Sorry. Yeah, I thought of poking it out, but was concerned I might expand (obturate?) it to the point that it would become more difficult pushing it 5" than pulling it 21". Happily, it responded to pulling.

I may be crazy, but I would throw a cap on and letter rip!

RED FLAG WARNING...

I wouldn't do that if I was you, what if the gun is charged with smokeless powder by mistake?

100 grains of Bullseye or any smokeless powder will kill you when the breech explodes in your face...

People do some strange things, and trusting a load in a used barrel is just asking for a visit from the grim reaper...

If you must do this, wedge the gun between old tires and pull the trigger from a safe distance with a heavy string, at least you'll live through it...

Moosketman is right.
As I've mentioned before, I bought a used gun and found, when I got home, it was loaded.

Removing the side drum from the barrel to look into the barrel, I found some idiot had loaded it with about 50-70 grains of Smokeless Powder!
I'm Dam glad I checked it out instead of capping it and firing the ball out (along with the breech plug, and the drum, and pieces of the barrel). :shocking:

It kinda makes buying used Muzzleloaders and Barrells from unknown people a waste of time.Wouldn't you say?If I was looking to lay out some $$ on a used muzzleloader I'd really prefer taking a look at it ahead of time and prefer it to be from someone I trust to take care of it like I would. :m2c:

It kinda makes buying used Muzzleloaders and Barrells from unknown people a waste of time.Wouldn't you say?If I was looking to lay out some $$ on a used muzzleloader I'd really prefer taking a look at it ahead of time and prefer it to be from someone I trust to take care of it like I would. :m2c:

Oh no!

That is just another fun challenge! It is like an added bonus :thumbsup:

Back