• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to fill powder horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barebackjack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Heres another stupid question.

I got a powder horn (just a cheapy, plan on making one when we de-horn some shorthorns next)......but.....how do you get the powder in the horn with minimal spillage????????

There is no "fill-hole" in the base plug (mine will have one), so Ive been taking a funnel and holding it to the teeny eeny weeny itty bitty pour spout and pouring powder at an agonizingly slow rate into it the pour spout hole. Any suggestions?

Thanks again fellas.

I make a funnel out of a sheet of paper.
That way you can pour a good amount into the paper and shake it around some and it fills it in no time.
I also do this over the sink and wash any powder down the tubes.

If the spout hole is too teeninesy you can enlarge it and carve another plug. Small holes are hard to refill and also takes longer to charge your measure. Ya might give 'er a try. 1/4" or so isn't too big. Tapered holes and plugs are handy. You can do that with a violin peg reamer. My horns average that dimension. Some a little bigger and some a leetle smaller.

Cooner's solution is what I'd do..I also just fold a piece of paper in half, and use that to spill the powder into the horn...kinda like the way a Goody's or a BC powder comes packed? Hank

I second what Hank said, if you can't find a small funnel use the paper

Shhh..... don't tell the wife, but I found one of the tiny little funnels she uses for refilling her oil lamps fits just right. You can pick them for cheap at Wally World or similar places.

. I have a friend who made me a great device for filling my horns. He takes the top of a goex can, drills a hole in it then solders a brass rifle shell to it . (believe it's a .223cal). Just srew this top on your can of powder, and fill 'er up. TOW used to sell a similar set up for $1.99 (1998-2000 catalogue) I don't know if they still carry it or not.
Soggy

I also tried the rolled paper cone as a funnel for a while, but I also used a tubing cutter to cut off the back of an empty cartridge case to make a funnel. I flared the big end and reduced the bullet end a bit.

I also found a cheap plastic funnel at a Dollar general which works well.

Drilling a bigger hole and making a better plug is not a big deal. I use a 4 in hand wood rasp to get the shape I want and taper the plug slightly for a good fit. If it is a big small, I will split it a bit with a thin saw blade where it goes into the hole and drive a thin wedge of wood in the split to adjust the tension of the fit.

Works for me.

CS

I just put my hand around the horn and start pourin, all over the floor, in the hole, on my hand, on the floor. ect....

Soggy, I bought that exact can-top spout from Track a couple of months ago. Two bucks, works great. I still manage to spill powder, but that's just 'cause I gots talent!

Oh, and I believe they sell one with an integral funnel.

Try soldering a spent .22 cal casing on an old can top, drill through from the shell side, dremal to size from the inside.
Instant can spout.

Here is a picture of three small funnels I use for filling various horns. The brass one on the left is used to fill the powder horn. It is available from the Log Cabin Shop, and various other places. The center one, and the one on the right are disposable tips for an otoscope, the flashlight like thing a doctor uses to look in your ears. I use them to fill my priming horns. They can be had, obviously, at your doctor's office. They come in various sizes, little ones for kids, and larger ones for adults.

funnels.jpg

I got a handful of the orthoscope things the doc sticks in your ear last time I went in for a check up. They work great and were free.

Rio

dcp_3904.jpg

This is what I made. It's a .223 soldered into a can cap. I just drill a hole a little small so you have a tight fit. Put the shell in from the inside of the cap and soldered. Cheep and works well :grin:
Lehigh...

Latest posts

Back