• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Do You Fill a Horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are mine and they all just have press-fit plugs, mostly because when I did these years ago I just made them without a clue what I "should" have been doing... Yet it just made sense at the time... Never had anything come loose and easy to fill with a spout or regular funnel... Never even heard of threading wood plugs until Youtube... Not too pretty but they work well for me...
View attachment 129909
I like the leather wrap on the top horn. Nice!

Gesh, four pages of over thinking and re-engineering filling a powder horn. I wrap my and around the spout and pour from the container with the other hand. If I want to pack it really full I shake the horn a bit to settle the powder a bit more. It's not rocket science boys. Fill it and redistribute that powder to make smoke and meat. Wash, rinse, repeat!

Gesh, four pages of over thinking and re-engineering filling a powder horn. I wrap my and around the spout and pour from the container with the other hand. If I want to pack it really full I shake the horn a bit to settle the powder a bit more. It's not rocket science boys. Fill it and redistribute that powder to make smoke and meat. Wash, rinse, repeat!
I don't think I'm over engineering by stating I use a funnel. My horn is best filled with a funnel, not by hand. My method, all others choose theirs.

While we are on the subject of horn filling, I thought I'd add a tid bit. I used to not like the idea of keeping a loaded horn around the house. But we discussed this matter on this forum last year and we were on the subject of carpet beetles that like to eat horns. Keeping a little powder in your horn keeps the bugs away. The Sulphur I guess.

I have gotten fussy about spilling powder , even in small amounts , since it became scarce and expensive . What ever method I use I fill the horn , and pre loads over a metal catch tray and pour that spilt powder into the horn as well .

I don't think I'm over engineering by stating I use a funnel. My horn is best filled with a funnel, not by hand. My method, all others choose theirs.
Using a funnel is not at all over engineering this. I was just perplexed at all the four pages about how to fill a horn is all. Certainly nothing against you.

Using a funnel is not at all over engineering this. I was just perplexed at all the four pages about how to fill a horn is all. Certainly nothing against you.
Nor was I attacking you personally. I guess I'm becoming a curmudgeon in my old age! I have a nicely designed horn, but with a narrow spout.

Last edited:
Back