• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HOW RURAL IS RURAL?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zapadach, I've actually had nightmares about that. One thing that may keep it pristine is that the lower areas have been zoned as floodplain, but when someone wealthy enough wants something in my part of the world, somehow the laws seem to bend.
I heard that. I used to live in Connecticut and in my younger years, worked for a construction company that renovated and remodeled big homes in Greenwich, Connecticut.
Talk about wealth, OMG.

North West Connecticut: I don't know how, but so far this part of the state has escaped the sprawl. I own a small house on 33 acres: 10 for hay about 5 that I rotate small my chicken flock on, and the rest is pine woods and overgrown pastures with a cedar swamp somewhere in the middle. I see deer, bear, eagles, hawks, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, possum, etc. Even saw a moose once. Also I got a close look one time at a mountain lion (turned out to be an Eastern Catamount). I hunt deer on my own property or my neighbors, and lately on 600 acre hay field that is a couple of miles down the road. This photo is from around last June.

View attachment 169673
Looks like God's country. Beautiful picture and a good looking garden to boot..

A most refreshing thing about this thread, is when FLASHPOINT says; happy you have what you have.To be happy for someone else is all together too rare now days.My hat is off to you FLASHPOINT ,With all the Jealousy and Cut throat B.S. in this world, YOU are a breath of Fresh Air.........Be Safe>>>>>>>>Wally
Thanks so much for your kind words. Much appreciated.

Black bears, elk, deer, bobcats, mountain lion, rabbits, fox, porcupine, all roam our property. Nearest neighbor 1/4 mile. Wilderness, ponderosa pines, pinion, firs cover the property and tens of thousands of acres + around this area. Elevation 7350. However, I'm noticing more folks starting to move in closer to this area....may be time to move!!
Wow! At a 7350 elevation, you might have a few more years before you have to move lol. Sounds like you can see forever.

I go out my back door and take a left 4 miles to a dirt road another 5-6 to a paved road. I go out the front door go 1000 feet then cross a paved road keep going another 11-12 miles to the next road that is paved. [no dirt one between]

Is that rural for you?

My avatar was taken at less than 5 feet in my YARD with a wide angle lens in 35mm.

Even this rural a gas station is only 14 miles away!

Last edited:
Thanks Flashpoint, I’m grateful every time I step out my back door. It just never gets old (Unlike me LOL). Every night I walk out to lock up my chickens, about 100 - 200 yards, depending where they are situatated, and the evening light over those hills is just breathtaking. But I am fully aware that it all hangs by a thread. Not just development, but my marriage is not what I would call rock solid, and as lovely as it is here, with a house that I’ve painstaking restored and maintained with my own two hands over the past 25 years, I know it could all vanish in an instant.

Thanks Flashpoint, I’m grateful every time I step out my back door. It just never gets old (Unlike me LOL). Every night I walk out to lock up my chickens, about 100 - 200 yards, depending where they are situatated, and the evening light over those hills is just breathtaking. But I am fully aware that it all hangs by a thread. Not just development, but my marriage is not what I would call rock solid, and as lovely as it is here, with a house that I’ve painstaking restored and maintained with my own two hands over the past 25 years, I know it could all vanish in an instant.
Very eloquent description e. I wish you that peaceful setting forever and peace in your marriage.

I have a pretty unique place. about 10 miles from the grocery store, about 20 miles from the nearest hospital, 3 miles from the gas station, I am no more than 20 miles from a decent size town. I live on 2.6 acres, and own 9 acres across the street. Both of my properties back up against watershed property and state game lands. I can hunt in my backyard and I have a 50 yd. range in my back yard. Out my back door there are over 5,000 acres of woods, and across the street is about 1,000 acres of woods. Watershed property and state game lands can't be built on. I have Black Bear, deer, turkey, squirrels, and rabbits in my back yard. Grouse have been thin lately, and no pheasants. Everybody in my neighborhood target practices. About a mile up the road the creek has native brook trout some that go over 16 inches. I can see the stars at night. This is where I will die.

Here my recipe for a pleasant rural life:

Start with a luxury log cabin nestled in a small forest of 120' + spruce trees. Garnish with quarter sawn oak floors, doors and trim, cobblestone fireplace and chimney, stained glass and Brazilian granite countertops. Add in 4+ acres, a wide river/lake front yard and an unobstructed view of turn of century town on the other side. Top off with a 2 minute travel time to supermarket, shops and medical???

Y'all are putting ideas in my head.
My yard and the woods behind me are nice, and I love the deer, squirrels, and all kinds of birds that I feed, but I have neighbors, and I don't have the vistas that y'all have, and I'm thinking, maybe I need to find a place somewhere, where I can shoot my flinters from the back porch, too.

Y'all are putting ideas in my head.
My yard and the woods behind me are nice, and I love the deer, squirrels, and all kinds of birds that I feed, but I have neighbors, and I don't have the vistas that y'all have, and I'm thinking, maybe I need to find a place somewhere, where I can shoot my flinters from the back porch, too.
Go for it!

When I moved here 22 years ago, I thought I was getting rural. I live on 15 acres literally on the outskirts of a town with a population of about 3500, as in my property lines are just inside the city limits. I escaped a town of 125,000 to come here and we're now eyeing a move further into the sticks if fortune allows. Our front road is where 2 state highways combine and there's noise that the state will be expanding the road, meaning they'll have to buy my property and if that coincides with dropping home/farmland prices we're going to take every opportunity.

Back