• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

HOW RURAL IS RURAL?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Even though we all wish we lived in the "wilds" where game was plentiful, with lots of land, lots of freedom, beautiful views, pristine trout streams, and no-one to tell us what to do; unfortunately not all of us are that lucky. I see some on here have no trouble seeing deer, bears, elk, coyotes, mountain lions, upland game birds, mink and otter right out their window. Being I live on a1/4 acre lot in a New Jersey subdivision and have to drive to find a place to hunt, with little game and lots of No Hunting Signs, I was wondering how you would describe the area in which you fortunately or unfortunately live? Flashpoint!

Find of my lifetime. Solid 1950 3 br 2 story house on 3.5 acres surrounded by a 65 acre private estate. Mine used to be the chauffer's house. The whole package is situated in rural southern Lancaster Cty PA. Surrounding properties run heavily to small farms, many of them Amish. But only 15-20 miles to the city and shopping, very good medical care, restaurants, etc etc

Several state game lands within 30 minute drives. Unhappily my passion is birds. Grouse in particular. So wanting to hunt them involves driving a couple hours. But deer, coyote, squirrel, rabbits, ground hog, stocked (DUMB) pheasant are nearby.

Rural Missouri town of 1200. I live in a house that is 116 years old on a 1-acre lot. However, I have 78 acres of unimproved property less than 2 miles from my house.
The Mississippi River is a mere 3 miles away. No trout, elk moose, or bear here. Lots of deer, turkey, small game, and an abundance of waterfowl in the fall. I can catch fish in the river and don't ever remember getting skunked. It's a pretty peaceful place.

Even though we all wish we lived in the "wilds" where game was plentiful, with lots of land, lots of freedom, beautiful views, pristine trout streams, and no-one to tell us what to do; unfortunately not all of us are that lucky. I see some on here have no trouble seeing deer, bears, elk, coyotes, mountain lions, upland game birds, mink and otter right out their window. Being I live on a1/4 acre lot in a New Jersey subdivision and have to drive to find a place to hunt, with little game and lots of No Hunting Signs, I was wondering how you would describe the area in which you fortunately or unfortunately live? Flashpoint!
Hoo boy. Your governor, who is gearing up to run for President, just "tightened up" your modern-gun laws! Expect more tension on the screws! NJ is a really nice state below the Northern part!

I worked very hard to get what I have. This is the view from my computer chair. I can walk out the door and start hunting. I feel blessed every day.
IMG_0638.jpeg

Robby

I live in a rural area. There’s roughly 11,000 acres of public land to hunt only a mile away. 2.5 hours away is the Hoosier National Forest. I have it better than some but no where near as good as others. There are forests out in other states that you can walk for miles in and never see or hear another soul.

I have a 60 acre place 3 miles from a small town, however, except for varmints, doves, and an occasional duck, hunting sucks.
Since I am getting so damned old, I used half of my IRA and bought a 150 acre place 200 miles away. Now I have deer, turkeys, hogs (!@#$%), and bears along with all the varmints. The place is 17 miles from a large city but everyone living there are old-timers who hunt so tree huggers are non-existent. It suits me fine except for the long drive.

In my native Georgia we once bought a house on 2 acres of land. It was two miles down a dirt road from the nearest paved road. It was at the edge of a national forest and very isolated. I could step outside in the back and shoot or even hunt, although I had a farm I mostly hunted at about 12 minutes away. All kinds of wildlife was out there including canebrake rattlesnakes which occasionally came up onto the porch. Coyotes, armadillos, rabbits, squirrels, possum, deer and other stuff filled out the guest list. At night the entire milky way was clearly visible. To me that was rural.

nice area a occasional deer in the yard, lots of rabbits and squirrels also, only a short drive to a hunters paradise from home, same with trout streams and river fishing. Sadly those places that once was are no longer for a lot of folks.
Hoo boy. Your governor, who is gearing up to run for President, just "tightened up" your modern-gun laws! Expect more tension on the screws! NJ is a really nice state below the Northern part!
Actually there is no place nice above the Mason Dixon line. Especially the garbage state AKA as N.J. - pa. used to be decent but alas no more. If not for the wife I would pull up and go to Ontario where I hunt bear nearest neighbor about 40 miles away, nearest town of any size at least 75 miles away. Nothing there except bears,moose,wolves, and the fishing is great also.

I have 20 acres, 280 acres of BLM land on three sides, we drive through a vacant 80 acre parcel to get to our place. We have pine, fir, cedar, madrone, black oak and live oak trees. We are right at 3000ft elevation. Our town is very small. One gas station, hardware and small grocery store within 15 minutes. Decent town with all needed is 35 minutes. We have squirrel, deer, bear, cougar, fox and coyotes abundantly. We just had a ring tail in the yard last weekend also. I love it here. I can shoot from either the front or back porch. I quite often shoot out of the garage when it’s raining or snowing. Closest neighbor is a little over a half mile from us. I am in northern Ca. On a map I’m between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento.

We live in a small house on 2 acres, about 8 miles from town.
Closest neighbor is a few hundred yards across the road.
Nobody on our side for about a mile.
There's a couple hundred unimproved woods behind the house. Lots of deer, turkey, fox, coyotes, hogs from time to time. I hog hunt out back once in a while.
There's 16,000 acres of state land about 20 minutes drive.

I live on the edge of a small city in northern Minnesota. It's kinda woodsy around here and I see deer and other animals fairly frequently. I can be in hunting woods in about five minutes, but it's crowded. My shooting spot is about sixteen miles in the boonies

Grand daughter asked "Where are your neighbors, Grandma?" We have not even a yard light visible. 196 acres- 100 woods, 96 tillable with 35 in wetland reserve program. Creek through the middle. 21.5 miles to Wal Mart. Surrounding properties not yet broken up into small parcels. Farmhouse built 1914, in our family since the 1930's. Critters all over.

Great Judges, Sheriff, and Volunteer Fire Dept. Longest shot on my range is 880 yards. Two electric traps, steel targets out to 380 yards. I manage for quail, turkeys, deer, rabbits, and moles. (ok, not moles, but I have plenty).

Back