• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How my Lyman GPR got its mojo back

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Years ago I purchased a little used and custom finished .50cal. GPR from Track of the Wolf. Range testing showed it to be quite accurate with both .490" and .495" patched RB's. In recent years, however, it seems to have lost its "mojo," but I couldn't figure out why. (It was accurate enough for most trail/woods walk targets and 25 yd. targets if large enough, but the wheels came off the wagon at 50.) Lately, in shooting a monthly postal match for the ALR, I figured out why, To wit, sometime in the past I must have inadvertently swapped the front and rear barrel wedges. Replacing them, monkeying with the powder charge a bit (It seems to like 65 - 70gr. FFg at that distance.) and going to a .495" RB + .011" patch seemed to do the trick.* Here's a photo from yesterday's outing (50 yd., bench rest):

*I know what you're thinking, about changing one thing and claiming it caused "miraculous" results (Post hoc fallacy), but I've tried it all except swapping the wedges before and trust me, I haven't seen such grouping in a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_6450 2.jpeg
    IMG_6450 2.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 68
Years ago I purchased a little used and custom finished .50cal. GPR from Track of the Wolf. Range testing showed it to be quite accurate with both .490" and .495" patched RB's. In recent years, however, it seems to have lost its "mojo," but I couldn't figure out why. (It was accurate enough for most trail/woods walk targets and 25 yd. targets if large enough, but the wheels came off the wagon at 50.) Lately, in shooting a monthly postal match for the ALR, I figured out why, To wit, sometime in the past I must have inadvertently swapped the front and rear barrel wedges. Replacing them, monkeying with the powder charge a bit (It seems to like 65 - 70gr. FFg at that distance.) and going to a .495" RB + .011" patch seemed to do the trick.* Here's a photo from yesterday's outing (50 yd., bench rest):

*I know what you're thinking, about changing one thing and claiming it caused "miraculous" results (Post hoc fallacy), but I've tried it all except swapping the wedges before and trust me, I haven't seen such grouping in a long time.
Whooda thunk?

Latest posts

Back