• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally took my new GPR to the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dledinger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a great time with my new .50 flinter yesterday. There's definitely a learning curve over percussion shooting. First few pans full were nothing but a flash and I could feel a knot in my stomach growing. I tried banking away, banking toward, and just leaving it level. Nothing seemed to matter. What did work, quite well I add, was poking a couple grains into the vent...I finally got it hear it roar. Wow, so very satisfying. I think, having read quite a bit on the forum, that the factory vent liner is just too tiny. I checked when I got home and it won't even pass a 1/16" drill. I wanted to do drill it to .07, but with what I had on hand I ended up drilling to 5/64" and coning the inside. Hopefully that works on the next outing.

On to the good news. This rifle is soooo comfortable and accurate! After shooting it a while I put a few down range with my Trade Rifle... The Trade rifle now feels like I'm shouldering a 4X4. Talk about chunky! I was shooting 3F graf's in the GPR. A .495 ball with olive oil and pillow ticking. My biggest 50 yard group was less than 3", and that included the fouling shot. Am I ever pleased! I shot 60, 70 and 80 grains, and all did remarkably well. I am hoping that a good knapped flint and better vent arrangement will only make a great thing better.

I am hooked.

Though it feels incredibly clunky now, I shot great with my 54 Trade Rifle too. I can't wait to slim the stock down now...but even as clunky as it is, I was KILLING it at 50 yards offhand. It's been so long since I've shot competitively, it felt pretty darn good.

My wife has got her Deerstalker down to a science now too....and I am very certain there's not a safe deer in the woods with her flinging .530 balls downrange.

Congrats :thumbsup: Mine was a little bit tougher to zero than that. I had to file about half the front sight off. I also had issues with the vent liner, the hole is just too small.

bwahahaha!

another one turned to the dark side ... to paraphrase the little green star wars guy,

once rocks banged have you, forever will they dominate your range time...

make good smoke!

Shot again today with the vent drilled to 5/64" and slightly coned. Wow. What a difference. Ignition - best I can tell with little to no experience - is extremely fast and consistent. I had no problem making the holes touch at 50 yards. It does dribble a bit of powder, but I have no way of telling how much. I guess I could load it over a sheet or something. I may try sticking a feather or a pick in the liner next time...or just continue to not worry about. I do still want to try some good flints. I only have sawn agate now.

I'm so in love with this gun.

Happy to hear your enlarged touch hole improved things. IMO, it always does. :)

I think loosing a few granules of powder while your loading won't be noticed and it does reassure that the powder is getting all the way down thru the flame channel hole to the touch hole.

That is important because the flame from the flash will only travel so far after it enters the vent hole.

For some, the sawed agate will work but my experience says a good razor edged flint always works far better.

Where the sawed agate will throw a few good sparks that usually lights the prime, a good flint will throw a shower of sparks into the prime that almost always results in a nearly instant ignition.

dledinger said:
Shot again today with the vent drilled to 5/64" and slightly coned. Wow. What a difference. Ignition - best I can tell with little to no experience - is extremely fast and consistent. I had no problem making the holes touch at 50 yards. It does dribble a bit of powder, but I have no way of telling how much. I guess I could load it over a sheet or something. I may try sticking a feather or a pick in the liner next time...or just continue to not worry about. I do still want to try some good flints. I only have sawn agate now.

I'm so in love with this gun.

I put a toothpick into the touch hole and lower the frizzen cover onto it holding it in place...then immediately load the powder and PRB using the pick to keep track as to the rifle being charged, only removing when the pan is to be charged and gun fired. This way I know gun is loaded, stops trickling of powder from touch hole, and picks a cleared path thru powder in the patent breech...hope this helps! :v

Back