• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many use...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are pushing deer, you are moving too fast. Depending on conditions, it should take you an hour to move 100 yards. In high winds, you can move faster, but then the deer stay in their beds and let you walk past them. Deer don't like to move around when its windy, as it hamppers their hearing( primary defense) and their sense of smell( secondary defense) and all that movement of trees and brush hampers their sight( tertiary defense).

Growing up in the west I was taught that stalking/still hunting is the correct thing for Blacktail, Muley and Elk. Tried tree stands while in N.C., but not for me. Never understood who came up with the terms. "Still Hunting" you have to walk , "Tree Stand" you sit on your butt all day.

Going to head out in the AM before we get some t-storms in the afternoon, I will give it a try. Thank you Paul.

paulvallandigham said:
If you are kicking up deer, you are moving too fast. Move slower. Move only when the branches and leaves move in the wind, and only as fast and as far as they move. Stop all movement when the wind stops. Do more waiting and looking than moving. Always keep the wind in your face. Move from one large tree to the next large tree. You will usually find a game trail or run from one tree to another, and using it will reduce the amount of noise your shoes make as you walk slowly. Use a fox walk. Bend your knees, and then put a foot forward, put it down on the outside edge. roll the foot over so it is flat on the ground, stopping to move it if you feel twigs, branches, or anything brittle that will snap and make a lot of noise. when your front foot is flat, then put it down onto the leaves and forest debris. The bottom of your shoe or foot will muffle the sounds made by leaves and small debris being crushed under your step. Now shift your weight from the back foot to the front, slowly, glance down to find a clear place to put your back foot forward, and slowly move that back foot forward to that spot. Lower that foot on its outside edge, and then roll it over so that the foot is poised flat to the ground. Only then can you transfer your weight to that foot after slowly pressing down to establish a foot hold under your shoe. Repeat the process. Every time you move a foot, stop and listen for alarm calls from birds, squirrels, and other animals. Even a distant bark of a dog can send out an alarm to deer and get them up out of their beds to sneak off to some hideout. So listen, then listen harder. Wait for the wind before you move any part of your body again.

This is how to still hunt deer or any other game. Its good practice to use these techniques to stalk rabbits, squirrels, and other small game and varmints. By the time Deer season is in full swing, you will be well practiced and will be amazed at how much more you see than you used to see before you adopted the fox walk, and slowed way down when you move.
I like to look around after each step, then squat and do it again. About every third squat, I'll pivot and look behind, ol' mossyhorn has learned hunters don't do that, so he'll circle around and follow you. If I have to travel some distance, like on a logging road,I'll make noise with my feet coming down on my toe and quickly thumping my heel. When doing this I never take an even number of steps. :v

I used to hunt from treestands almost exclusively, but that was back when I thought deer were magical. :wink:

Also, when my boy was younger it was fun to sit in a "buddy stand" with him and whisper back and forth. We had some camouflaged netting around the rails of it so we could move a little bit.

These days I mostly hunt from the ground. Maybe I'm just gettin' old, but I'm more comfortable on the ground, and I feel like I have more options because I can move without having to re-hang a treestand.

I still have several treestands around here somehwere...

Spot

Spot, Same way here. I like to be able to move on em. Not saying you can't climb down and go after them. But sometimes all you have to do is move a little one way or another to get a hole to shoot thru.

I love the flexibility of the ground.

Headhunter

Back