• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many of you shoot a 12 gauge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people shoot a 12 gauge whether it be ball or shot. If so which do you shoot and what do you use it for? Kicking around the idea of eventually getting one.

I shot a Traditions 12ga when they first came out; a friend had it and didn't like it. I used it on doves in Texas, to the howling amusement of my friends until I started hitting one now and again. Three out of five is supposedly the Texas standard, I got one or two. But Lawdy, what fun! I also pegged an old oil can at about 40 yards and that did it with the jeers. I let someone talk me out of that old single percussion years ago. I have just recently completed a 12ga Indian blanket gun with a 14" piece of modern barrel, a percussion lock converted from a Tower Pistol lock, and an ash full-stock with the butt cut about 9 inches behind the trigger. Three brass tacks adorn the right side butt, and it still needs a trade gun front sight. Proofed with 70 gr 3f and 1 1/8 oz #6. It feels and looks good in the hand.

If you’ve never shot ball from one she kicks like a mule. Here’s a video of me shooting my Kettenburg 12 bore Bucks County Schimmel with 110g of fg.

Skip to 7:08 to see 4 slow mo shots of it being firing.The video is a test of fg, ffg, fffg, and Null B in the pan.

I have been shooting a Pedersoli Bess for years. It's an 11 gauge. I mostly shoot roundball from it. It kicks like a mule but is survivable. No bruises after 20 or 30 shots. That big ball makes steel gongs dance. It's a lot of fun, but it sucks a can of powder dry in a short time and you had better own a lead mine if you shoot it regularly.

For several years I have been using a Beeson inline 12 ga. single barrel trap gun. From 10 to 20 yards from the trap house I have used 2 3/4 drams of fffg with an ounce and one eighth of # 7 shot. That combination breaks clays well. In original gun events I have liked using a Birmingham pre-1855 double 12 ga. At 10 yard trap I have found that 2 1/2 drams of 777 and an ounce of #7 shot works well. Seven shot has about 20 percent more inertia than 7 and 1/2 down range on the target.

I used my TC New Englander on rabbit a couple times. It got the job done, but; my friends dogs have to get most of the credit. I loaded No6 shot. I was a little heavy on the amount of shot. With dogs, you can get pretty close so an open choke was not a disadvantage. I think a lighter single shot has some advantages over a double.

If I was going to shoot balls, I would want a little heavier gun with good sights. Rifled would be a plus. I see that as two different guns. Not like 200 years ago when buying a gun was a great financial burden.

12 ga. for waterfowl hunting and skeet. 10 gauge for sandhill cranes and swans.

I have a 13 gage double bbl flint shotgun. Use for dove, turkey and pheasants.

I have a couple of CVA double barrel 12s, and they're choked, so I shoot .69 balls over 80 gr FFg with cards or wads, or 80 gr (volume) of birdshot, or 12-14 OO buckshot. Mostly for targets at Rendezvous, but also for critters. My Manton 12 ga flintlock prefers a patched .69 ball but shot loads are the same. My Besses use .735 balls, and I typically load paper cartridges. My matchlock takes a .715 ball, but I usually patch or wad a .69 because I don't have a .715 mould.
Jay

Latest posts

Back