• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How is this shot bag[s] used ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgfco

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am not sure if this two separate items, or one pair that is used together. Can you tell me how it would be used ? Thanks, Daryl

C9AGCx8.jpg

SlpsdUX.jpg

InKHQQo.jpg

vtZpVrq.jpg

Last edited:
One for powder , one for shot. Unless the user liked to use different size shot in each barrel. Make a probe out of a length of wire, gently scrape the inside of the bags. If there is black powder residue, it will fall out.

That is an "Irish" shot pouch.. it is designed to be hung round your neck. It can be used either with the same or different size shot in each side. The idea of the double bag is to balance the weight across your shoulders.. and it should be used in this fashion taking care to draw shot evenly from each bag.

Irish shot bags are characterised by the removable scoop and come in single "bandolier" form as well as the "round the neck" style. They were really meant to be used by a loader rather than the shooter as trying to shoot with that slung around your neck would be a bit of a challenge.

These were NEVER designed for use with powder. The "valve" is not flash proof and even if there is evidence of someone trying to use these with powder, this should not be attempted. Powder will simply not flow evenly from a flexible container and needs to be dispensed from a rigid flask. Also, do you really want to wear a gunpowder filled scarf that close to a flint or percussion lock?

Both seem to have a shot dispenser Brass tip. I see no way to change the shot charge amount, so possible the bags were bought with the desired shot charge in mind. Felix , your thought about an explosive collar gave me a chuckle, and of course chills, too. What vintage might these be ? I notice they are similar to Sykes patent items. Also, I noticed that pictures of several John and Joe Manton cases contained powder flasks of copper or similar and shot bags, but I could not tell if any of them had two shot bags.

I would think around 1850s, maybe later...

Some designs have a screw stop to allow different charges, but this looks like a fixed volume scoop. I would think these would have been custom made.. if you afford a loader, then cost was probably not your prime concern...!

My gun is a very late flintlock from about 1831, What type of shot and powder flasks would they have had then? I don‘t know of the Irish designation. Did they use those in England ?

You can decrease the shot charge by the right thickness of fiber wad, or other appropriate thing. When the right amount is dispensed, a bit of hot glue will keep it there.
Stuck in the base of the measure of course.
Wool wad, to my thumbnail.

Attachments

• 20230619_161510.jpg
    20230619_161510.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230619_161440.jpg
    20230619_161440.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I bought one a bit worse than yours, stitched up a new pouch, about half the volume of the original. Very comfortable, and grouse shot in the upper, and bunny shot in the bottom.

Attachments

• 20230619_161906.jpg
    20230619_161906.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Am I correct in thinking that when hunting , only one bag might be used, slung over the shoulder ? Then, a loader might use two bags in neckless fashion.

I wear it on the left, just like a bag. Bag and horn on the right. Need shot? It's right there, every time.

Attachments

• 20230620_161611.jpg
    20230620_161611.jpg
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_161602.jpg
    20230620_161602.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back