• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How is a caliber size made “official “

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I hope everyone is well and being good to each other.

This is an academic question, nothing profound here. But maybe someone can clarify how caliber sizes become official?
Some makers use the bore size but measure between the grooves or measure between the lands. Some use the size of the projectile.
My .45 rifle has a land to land measure of .453, a grove to grove measure of .457 but the actual projectile is a .445. A .223 cartridge uses a .224 projectile But is named .223. The venerable .303 British is actually a .311 projectile.

So, does anyone have an idea as to what decides an official caliber designation “

Thanks

None at all. For Ml the number that maters is what it shoots.
I have never miched a bore. But I had a .50 GM barrel that needed .500 ball for best, but was hard to load. So I shot .495 but the groups were never going to be winners.
A few .50s that shot a .490, and one that need a .480.
Just a number.

This is an interesting question. Bear in mind, this is strictly a muzzleloading forum, and topics pertaining strictly to breechloaders are not discussed here. However, the topic of caliber has some overlap between breechloaders and muzzleloaders, so here goes....

Bore size for muzzleloaders is generally accepted as land-to-land diameter. Cartridge shooters consider bore size to be bottom of groove to the bottom of an opposite groove. This explains why a .44 caliber cap and ball revolver can be converted to shoot .45 Colt or Schofield cartridges simply by swapping cylinders. The Dixie Gun Works catalog tells us that the Uberti Walker and Dragoon revolvers have a land-to-land bore diameter of .440", making them .44 caliber blackpowder revolvers. The grooves are .008" deep, so the bore diameter of the same revolvers, measured from the bottom of one groove to the bottom of an opposite groove, is .456", which would be .45 caliber to a cartridge shooter. Most of the Italian .44 caliber cap and ball revolvers have a land-to-land diameter of .440", but groove depth varies. This can affect your choice of ball size for these firearms, as well as compatibility with cartridge conversion cylinders.

It gets complicated. I think the modern metric calibers are measured from land to land, like muzzleloaders. For example, 7.62mm calculates to .300", or .30 caliber, which is why the 7.62x51NATO round will interchange with a .308 Winchester. To complicate matters further, the nominal caliber of a cartridge gun is not necessarily the same as its bore size by actual measurement. A modern .44 Special, for example, typically has a bore size (bottom of groove to bottom of groove) of .429". But that's all we are going to say about that.

Muzzleloading barrel and rifle makers do appear to have standardized some bore sizes these days, e.g. .40, .45, .50, .54, .58, and .62. Old-time rifle makers were not necessarily bound to these standards, which is why you see older muzzleloaders in calibers like .41, .47, or .52. Back in the day, it was also common, if not typical, to refer to "balls to the pound" ("gauge") as a measure of caliber, although it is not always clear whether the writer was referring to the actual bore size or the ball size. The difference between ball size and bore size is called "windage". A round ball that is meant to be shot with a patch, frequently abbreviated as PRB (for "patched round ball") on this forum, is of a diameter somewhat under the land-to-land bore diameter of the rifle. Windage may be as much as .020" or as little as .001", or even 0.00" (bore size), depending mainly on shooter preference, and patch thickness varies accordingly. In tenngun's post (above), he reports using a round ball of bore size for best accuracy, but it was understandably hard to load, so he selected a slightly smaller ball .005" under bore size as a compromise. A smaller ball will need a thicker patch to effect a gas seal. Please refer to plmeek's excellent summary of ball size and gauge in the "Rocky Mountain Fur Trade" section of this board for further discussion of ball size and gauge.

Thanks for introducing this interesting question.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Good question and responses for sure. Most custom muzzleloader barrel makers aim to get the bore drilled and reamed to the stated size before cutting the grooves. So a .32 would be at .320 before rifling and that would be the land to land measurement when done.

Excellent question and topic. As touched on above, I suspect the answer is similar to pretty much any manufactured product in that it is the manufacturer's prerogative to name it and designate the specs for it. The first product in the space often becomes the generic name for subsequent similar products. I can think of a number of them. Hula Hoops, Ski-Doos, Windsurfers, et. al..

Also as per the above post, to complicate matters, 38 cal ML rifles shoot .375 balls, but 36 cal revolving pistols shoot the same ones. Confusing isn't it? Life was much more simple when we just had catapults to launch projectiles.

Caliber designation is a bit of a mess, they tended to evolve. For instance a 36 cal cap an ball revolver uses a 375 ball. The subsequent conversions used a 375 case with a heel bullet in the same bore. Later they used the 375 case with an internally lubed 357 bullet and downsided the barrel to match.

In ML guns, the popular calibers seemed to half the weight of the ball. 69 cal/ 495 gr, 57/ 275, 50/180, 375/80, 310/45

Had always heard that ‘back in the day’ a mold would be made to match a new rifle’s bore and would be included with the gun. Also seems many references to bore size weren’t extract, as in ‘about ‘x’ balls to a pound’ or ‘near ‘x’ diameter bore’.
So, does anyone have an idea as to what decides an official caliber designation “
Thinking about it, you can not use the actual bullet diameter for caliber designation, officially or unofficially. Years ago as today the actual bullet or barrel diameter will only get you close. The 45 LC evolved from the cap and ball pistols. It used a .452”/.454” diameter bullet. As did the 45 caliber Schofield. And the 45ACP. Just looking at ‘numbers’ used in contemporary official caliber designations or names you will find 454, 460, among others, all using a .452”/.454” diameter bullets.

There is a lot less rhyme and reason in cartridge gun and cap and ball pistol caliber designation. I don’t see any confusion in muzzleloading rifle caliber designation.
Tend to agree, just don’t see consistent connection between ball diameter and ‘caliber’. Does a 54 caliber gun use a .520”, .526”, .530”, .535” or .540” diameter ball?

Thank you all for some thoughtful answers.
Like I said at the beginning, it’s only an academic question.
I like the explanation about the unrifled bore diameter (a .32 begins with a .320 bore). That makes sense.

Back