• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How I made my bear oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok this will probably raise an eye brow or two, or get a laugh or two but it's what I did! Thought I'd put it out here for any novice out there like me who's never seen this done. :grin:

oil

Excellent work Swamp Rat. When I lived in the woods I'd get a bear every year... I was so confident about getting one that I would trade off the skins and fat.

Since I've moved to the edge of town I've only got a couple and all the good stuff is long gone. After all the bears I've shot I only have a couple of bear claw necklaces.

The bear lard sure does make some great baked goods!

Are you going to post some pics and a story? I sure miss seeing bears taken with roundballs.

No pics or story about the bears, they were taken in the regular firearms season by someone else. I asked for some fat and was given a few pounds with a permission slip (as per N.Y State rules) So I could make myself some oil. I'm very happy about the end product and documented what I did on my Lewis and Clark Tribute site. :thumbsup:

I went back and looked at your site Swamp Rat... I have to tell you that I envy you your Contract Rifle. I've been blowing hot & cold on making one but I can see that it will have to happen.

Currently I have an Enlish Fowler, English Utility Musket, two 'C' Fusils and a Southern Mountain Rifle (all flint of course) to finish before I can even think of starting on the Contract Rifle.

What was the final weight of your Contract Rifle?

Swamp Rat said:
The 1803 is about 8 and half lbs I think. But the overall length makes the big differance for me.

Man! I'm surprised. I'd of thought that the Harper's Ferry was at least a pound lighter (what with the barrel length and half-stock.

Have you ever hefted the English Sporting Rifles?

Hi Swamp Rat - Went to your site and what a nice site it is. All goes to show that our abilities most often outweigh our "dis"abilities. GC

Back