• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How hair should a hair be?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubert

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .62 cal fullstock Lehman that has set triggers, when set it is mere ounce's, I bought it used and was a little apprehensive of how light the set trigger was. Now that I'm used to it I can't imagine anything heavier. What do you folks adjust your set your triggers at?

At the level where it is as light as possible, but is still controlable for you. There is no one setting that fits all. You have to work it out for yourself. There are very few shooters that can control my level of let off, but it is fine for me, and I use it even when hunting, and even when the weather is very cold. I think I recall my let off at 4oz, but yours might be 2oz, or 2 lbs. It's whatever works best for you. Totally an individual preference.

I have a couple of "winter" guns that are set pretty high. Learned the hard way that I can't even feel contact with a light "summer" set trigger when I'm wearing gloves- even thin ones. I haven't put a scale to either of them, but I'm betting they're up around 2 pounds. The ones I use bare-fingered are measured in single-digit ounces, I'm sure.

I don't use anything to actually "measure" my set trigger adjustments...they're all hunting guns so while I do adjust them for a light trip, they still have a bit of 'feel' to them...I don't want a pre-mature firing when I'm getting my finger into position on it, all the while concentrating on the game I'm getting ready to shoot

I have yet to see a low cost (less than $50) commercial set trigger that could have the force of its front trigger pull changed to release the rear trigger.**

If a Double set triggers front trigger takes 2 ounces pull force to release the rear set trigger, it will remain at 2 ounces regardless of the setting of the adjustment screw.

There is really no way to adjust the force of pull that is required.

The distance or length of pull required for the front trigger to move before the rear trigger is released is adjustable and that is what the adjustment screw that is usually located between the triggers does.

If the adjustment screw is screwed in to the maximum, the front trigger may only have to move a few thousandths of an inch to release the rear trigger. (Very dangerous.)

If the adjustment screw is totally removed the front trigger may have to move 1/8 inch (or more) before the rear trigger will release. (Very safe but awkward to use.)

** Double set triggers that can be adjusted to change the actual amount of force needed to move the front trigger can be made but they are uncommon and they are custom made.
Because of their high prices they are found only on the best of the rifles made for precision target shooting.

They are also found on high priced cartridge target rifles.

Wick Ellerbe said:
At the level where it is as light as possible, but is still controlable for you. There is no one setting that fits all.
Wick's response is good. :thumbsup:

Being new to this interest and a habitual tinkerer, I spent some time tweeking the stock double set trigger that came with a Lyman GPR. There is one screw that adjusts how much force is applied to the set trigger, which seems to affect how much force is needed to pull the trigger when the set trigger is set (probably not much affect). The set trigger spring screw affects how much energy the set trigger has stored up when it impacts the sear upon release by the trigger: too light and the set trigger won't trip the sear. I adjusted the set trigger spring screw depth to a point where the set trigger trips the sear reliably. My set trigger spring adjustment limited the amount of force needed to set the set trigger, which was uncomfortable out of the box.

The trigger screw that pokes out between the two triggers was too short out of the box to make any significant impact on trigger travel. I put a longer screw in and adjust it depending on my mood: out for more trigger travel, in for less.

My trigger is now as moody as I am.

My target rifle is just less than two ounces. But the hunting rifle and shotguns are more like two pounds.

Wick gave you the answer. For some folks a 3 lb. trigger is as light as they can handle but my single triggers are at 1 lb. and my double triggers are close to 1 oz. Most folks that have tried my double triggers can't touch them without them firing but sometime when I'm trying to hit a small target offhand it seems like that 1 oz. is way too heavy, seems like it's never going to fire. That trigger finger has to be well educated for a pull that light.
Deadeye

There are sett triggers and then there are sett triggers. And there can be a considerable difference.
The sett triggers on factory made rifles are really kinda crude. But they do work....sorta OK. Better triggers from L&R, Davis, and others are good but can be made better by whoever is building the rifle.
I have seen some hundred(s) of years old triggers with multiple levers. Some are four lever and I believe one was seven. These were made like polished watch works. Even though the let off was very-very light they allowed a 'feel' to avoid accidential firing. Hard, really impossible, to describe. It has to be seen to understood. I'm sure there are others here who have seen original triggers like these and know what a difference there is.
As to the original question. Yes, set to your level of comfort. Enjoy.

“That trigger finger has to be well educated for a pull that light.” Deadeye is quite right. I spent years shooting a 1.5 kg trigger in long range matches and I had a devil of the time using triggers set in ounces. One of the keys to me settling in to make a shot was for me to put my finger on the trigger and pause before starting the final shot sequence. Well, with the set triggers at 6 ounces I would often set it off before I was ready to the point where I started to get the “yips” while shooting offhand. I had to reset them up to two and half pounds before I could relax and not worry about setting the shot off prematurely. Find your comfort point and you will do your best shooting from there.

Flash Pan Dan said:
“That trigger finger has to be well educated for a pull that light.”
Using set triggers for hunting as I do, to avoid an 'AD' I was able to develop an approach and all my year round range practice is done exactly the same as how I hunt so it's become second nature now.

I lay my trigger finger along the "side" of the trigger and actually press n sideays a little, with actually a bit more meat of the front pad 'behind' the edge of the trigger and pushing "forward" slightly to ensure there's no way that trigger can move back and release the set.

Then as I'm settling the final sight picture I start easing off the pressure of my finger pad from behind the side edge of trigger to curling around more of the front edge of the trigger and begin to apply pressure for the shot.
(Might be harder to explain than it is to do)

My latest rifle came with a 13oz trigger which is on par with most of my others. Heavier wouldn't do for me.

I get wary when lightness of triggers comes up as a topic as I fear people may work to lighten the trigger to minimum and not take time to adequately check to absolutely certain that the cock will not prematurely discharge in its new lightened state. I like to adjust a trigger with the arm in the ready to fire mode (no powder or load, with a small wood flint in place), then I bump the butt plate on a floor pad to try and make an accidental discharge happen. If it does, it is too light IMHO.

Never should an arm be cocked until ready to safely fire, to avoid a potential mishap, but I like to check things out before an arm is hot.

The subject was about set triggers. The gun could be bump tested without the cock, being cocked. However, I see no reason to bump test a set trigger. I don't set mine until the gun is shouldered, or pointed down range just before I shoulder it. The whole idea of a set trigger is get a light/short travel pull. There is no other reason to have one. I would bet that none of my rifles with set triggers would pass a bump test, and I wouldn't expect them to.

I totally missed the "set" part. (I was speeding through a large group of posts obviously too fast!)
I tend to get a little jumpy about safety and shooting real quick,too!

Same here, gun on shoulder, sights on target before I set the trigger.
Deadeye

Deadeye said:
Same here, gun on shoulder, sights on target before I set the trigger.
Deadeye
I don't, that's way too much time for the muscles to hold steady before firing, just about the time the sights get on target is when the gun should go bang.
For target shooting it's;
Feet and shoulders in postion,
Rifle up and out at ready,
Set the rear trigger but keep your finger out of the guard,
Shoulder and aquire target X,
Touch the front trigger,
Bang,,,
For hunting, aim and shoot.

Latest posts

Back