• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How far should touch hole be from bottom on the pan ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Putting a Traditions kit together and the bottom of the hole is about level with the bottom of the pan . Is this okay ? All new to me . -Thanks

1646592082220.jpeg

1646592054148.jpeg

Last edited:
I ask because I thought I had read somewhere the bottom of the hole was suppose to be 1/8" above the pan. Seems like a lot, but again this is all new to me.

There appears to be a larger shallow hole around the flash hole which gets the it off the very bottom of the pan. I would prime to just below the the bottom of the recessed flash hole. I have generally gotten faster ignition when the priming powder was kept below the flash hole, preferably with the flash hole in the sunset position to the top flat of the pan.

Just don't cover up the hole with the powder when you prime it, and you should be fine.

This^. I have been surprised at times how well ignition is with just a dab of 4f that doesn’t look like enough. And a picked touch hole, wiped pan and frizzen, sharp well adjusted flint, etc., etc. The journey is the fun!

It will work fine as is. But because I like to tinker, I would grind the pan bottom to down to the edge of the countersink. Mostly just for looks and to prevent the flame from burning the edge of the lock plate.

I have a J P Beck type .40 rifle by Narragansett Arms , it always had slow ignition . Last lockdown I had a look at the lock , which is a small Queen Anne Flint lock . The flash hole was right at the bottom of the pan . I ground out the bottom of the pan with my Dremel tool . I took it down about 1/8th of an inch and shaped it . The difference is dramatic , it went off so fast the first time I tried it I nearly dropped the rifle . The rifle has gone from the back of my gun safe to the front , and comes with me every time I go to the range .

I built the Traditions Kentucky rifle kit and my touch hole is aligned exactly like in your pictures. As others have mentioned it doesn't need much powder in the pan at all. My rifle fires quite reliably.

I never measured the diameter of the touch holes in any of my Traditions flintlocks (I have 5), but I use the stock 5mm threaded ones and have no problems.

Back