• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how do you tell the age or date?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought an Investment Arms .50 cal hawken from a friends store and i was wondering how old it may be. the serial number is 201277 and it looks like it may have been around awhile even though its in very good shape. It has a very short barrel and walnut stock.

Does it have a rubber butpad and a real short barrel? If so, it probably has a fast twist barrel. I can't help with the age, They look the same from the mid 80's until present.

Tuff call,
Investarms SPC, the Italian maker is notorious for not answering email questions like that.

My last knowledge of those being made new with just the Investarms marking,,
(cause they make'm for Lyman AND Cabelas)
,,Is about 15-16 years ago. With a 6 digit SN# I'll stick my neck out and say your rifle is closer too 20yrs old.
Good gun if cared for, any parts needed are easy to get because they are still the same as Lyman and Cabelas models.

Ya know, I take that back, Dustin will soon be 18, so I'd go even 25yrs ago,,
,,Man, time moves fast don't it?

Thanks for the help, I am glad to have the little canon, was gonna go shoot it today but house hold duties are calling instead.

blackpowder004.jpg

The Italian guns all have a date code,it should be on the barrel. I believe it should be two letters or if an earlier gun Roman numerals.

Trot, you are right. There is a code on the barrel and it is 2 letters. If we had those letters, we could date it.

Going along with what others have said, what you're looking for on the barrel should look something like this - two letters inside a box
IMG_6110.jpg

(Sorry its not a very clear picture)

This here will show you what the letters mean. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, I am used to WW2 weapons even though i have been shooting black powder since the 80's just never gave it much thought til now.

Back